Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep towing an enclosed trailer safely

Old 07-07-2016, 11:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
It's hard to locate brake controllers in the jeep due to limited dash space. Go with one that has a connector. That will let you unplug and stow it when not in use
The new electronic brake controllers no longer require a box on the dash. The "box" on the trailer is Bluetooth programmable from your iPhone.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Christofora (04-21-2021)
Old 07-07-2016, 11:27 PM
JK Freak

It's hard to locate brake controllers in the jeep due to limited dash space. Go with one that has a connector. That will let you unplug and stow it when not in use
The new electronic brake controllers no longer require a box on the dash. The "box" on the trailer is Bluetooth programmable from your iPhone.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90250.html
Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
The new electronic brake controllers no longer require a box on the dash. The "box" on the trailer is Bluetooth programmable from your iPhone. http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90250.html
Pretty sweet, but at 3 times the price, I'll stick with the box in the cab.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Pretty sweet, but at 3 times the price, I'll stick with the box in the cab.
Tow a trailer equipped with that unit and you'll be singing a different tune, really quick. Braking like the trailer isn't even behind you.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rippennets
Ok Cool this makes me feel better. As far as the weight in the trailer, you mentioned like 3000 loaded with no problems would only having say 1000-1500# make towing more, less or no difference?

What about axles? First is should I get them rated at a higher rating than the jeep can pull or would that make the ride worse. Also would torsion axles benefit me with mainly being driven on highway with the occasional camp site?

Also saw review on the Tekonsha P3 and primus IQ which seem good for brake controllers. Seems like they are my best option.
i'm researching as well to buy a 7x14' enclosed aluminum tandem axle electric brake V-nose trailer, by Aluma. Dry weight is 1500#. My toy (2016 CanAm Maveric side by side) weighs about 1300# dry. 1500+1300 is 2800#, leaving me about 700 lbs for additional weight (food, water, gas, camping supplies, etc...). I would not get the 5200# axles as i see them as unnecessary added weight and cost. Tandem 3500# axles gives you 7000# of towing capability. That's double the max of what your Jeep can safely tow. I too am only getting the tandem axles for peace of mind regarding trailer stability and possible tire blowout.
Kevin Christofora (06-18-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

It's not actually a bad idea because I have personally used a jeep to tow an enclosed trailer before. Apart from the speed of the jeep that was reduced there was no problem throughout the journey. Then why are you going for the popular brands of enclosed trailers? There are amazing new brands with cheaper price in town. Here is one of them you can try out https://trailers123.com/
Kevin Christofora (06-18-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a significant lift, make sure you grab a drop down tow ball hitch to help level the load.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I've towed a 4000 pound toy hauler that became 5000 pounds with the Harley inside. After getting rid of that, I replaced the trailer with a 7x14 v-nose all aluminum trailer. That was maybe 3500 pounds loaded down. What I learned is that in that weight range of 3500 to 5000 pounds, there was not a drastic difference in what the towing felt like when driving the Jeep. Maybe at 5000 pounds I had to take off more slowly, but at highway speeds, I really couldn't tell a difference. At some point the wind resistance of a brick pulling a brick levels off.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hook up a trailer that weighs 1200 pounds https://www.horizonteardrops.com/, it has everything you need, plus you can attach 2 bicycles to it. I like to go on long trips, 2 sockets and a battery for leisure are enough for all cameras, because of a light trailer, a car is needed to save fuel. Usually, I go on long trips to another state, my favorite place is the Grand Canyon, it's good that I have a panoramic window, in this place a view of the starry sky is excellent.

Last edited by JohnSvensen; 05-19-2021 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

I've towed a 4000 pound toy hauler that became 5000 pounds with the Harley inside. After getting rid of that, I replaced the trailer with a 7x14 v-nose all aluminum trailer. That was maybe 3500 pounds loaded down. What I learned is that in that weight range of 3500 to 5000 pounds, there was not a drastic difference in what the towing felt like when driving the Jeep. Maybe at 5000 pounds I had to take off more slowly, but at highway speeds, I really couldn't tell a difference. At some point the wind resistance of a brick pulling a brick levels off.
What size gears do you have?

Quick Reply: Jeep towing an enclosed trailer safely