Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep turn off in water

Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep turn off in water

Yesterday I was backing my boat down a ramp and my jeep just shut off on me. My exhaust was a few inches underwater (which has never given me problem before this) and my jeep wouldn't start back up, it would try and sound like it would for a couple seconds then just shut off. Had to get a friend to pull me out of the water. To start it I had to give it gas as it was trying to crank. Kept shutting off on me and would only start 1/10 times. Finally after driving it awhile it started to act a lot more normal. I've read all about breather hoses but nothing regarding the engine shutting off. Any ideas?

Last edited by nhammond; 09-12-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Attempting to give the jeep gas while starting will not allow it to start. You should have been able to drop into 4low and start then roll away. I've had mine in 3' of water and it didn't stall/ didn't die.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check your oil to make sure it hasn't got water in it.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

How much gas did you have in your Jeep when you were backing it down, how steep was the boat ramp and how long did you stay on the ramp? You could have possibly ran the fuel system dry depending on the grade of incline, fuel level, and how long you were at that incline. The difficult time you were having restarting your Jeep sounds a bit like fuel starvation to me. I could be way off, but that's what my first thought was.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Did you check your oil to make sure it hasn't got water in it.
I did not, it seems to be running perfectly fine now. The front vehicle wasn't in the water just the rear, I highly doubt the bottom of the oil pan was in the water
Old 09-13-2016, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FlyFisherman
How much gas did you have in your Jeep when you were backing it down, how steep was the boat ramp and how long did you stay on the ramp? You could have possibly ran the fuel system dry depending on the grade of incline, fuel level, and how long you were at that incline. The difficult time you were having restarting your Jeep sounds a bit like fuel starvation to me. I could be way off, but that's what my first thought was.
I had about half a tank at the boat ramp wasn't steep at all which is the reason why I had to back in so far to get the boat off. I'd say I was on the boat ramp for about 2 minutes when it cut off on me.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't suppose you might have an exposed air filter, cold air intake that got a little wet and restricted air flow? Then it dries out and you get your airflow back. Just a thought.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nhammond
Yesterday I was backing my boat down a ramp and my jeep just shut off on me. My exhaust was a few inches underwater (which has never given me problem before this) and my jeep wouldn't start back up, it would try and sound like it would for a couple seconds then just shut off. Had to get a friend to pull me out of the water. To start it I had to give it gas as it was trying to crank. Kept shutting off on me and would only start 1/10 times. Finally after driving it awhile it started to act a lot more normal. I've read all about breather hoses but nothing regarding the engine shutting off. Any ideas?
I did see similar symptoms but the guy splashed water 5 feets over the hood and was lucky not to hydro lock the engine.
Took somewhere around 30 to 45 minutes before the engine returned to normal.

My best bet, water fouled a sensor, unless you put water all over this limit the number of possible culprit.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Yet again, just spitballing here.. Was your evap canister underwater? If so water could have leaked into the canister and been sent directly into your intake manifold. Like I said before just spitballing here.

Quick Reply: Jeep turn off in water