JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Jeep wash (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/jeep-wash-23543/)

FinallyJO 12-22-2007 06:16 AM

Jeep wash

This may be a dumb question, but is it okay to put the Unlimited X through a car wash? My concern is that the soap they use will discolor, or accelerate, the discoloring of the black fenders and hard top roof. Are my concerns warranted? Also, would touchless be better than one with the spinning brushes against the body? Thanks.

mkjeep 12-22-2007 06:32 AM

Run through a carwash? That's sacralige for a jeep owner! The brush ones can knock pits in your hardtop( don't ask me how I know) Can't be good on softop windows either. I have a 11 HP pressure washer for knocking the mud off, and just use regular water hose for rest. Soap? You supposed to use that?:rotflmao1:

IndianaJK 12-22-2007 06:52 AM

I won't be running mine through a wash.

I don't have any leaks in the rain with my hard top or doors but a high pressure wash can put water places you wouldn't think it could go.

My Buddy has run his JK through a no touch wash and had water spray in around all his doors.

JackMac4 12-22-2007 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by FinallyJO (Post 272645)
This may be a dumb question, but is it okay to put the Unlimited X through a car wash? My concern is that the soap they use will discolor, or accelerate, the discoloring of the black fenders and hard top roof. Are my concerns warranted? Also, would touchless be better than one with the spinning brushes against the body? Thanks.

There is no dumb question!

If you have your hard top, I've heard of people taking it through the car wash - but I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you're pretty sure you have your top seated very well and all the seals are good. If you have any small leaks, a high pressure wash will surely find them.

With your soft top on, there is a possibility that the high pressure will cut your plastic windows.

In general, its not a good idea but practically there are plenty of people who run their jeeps throuch car washs all the time. Hope that helps!

I always hand wash my jeep.

Shakeyhands 12-22-2007 07:31 AM

I've run mine through both a no touch and a soft cloth. no issues. I wouldn't make it a habit but for a quick clean I wouldn't think its a big deal.

Having said that, hand washing my jeep is almost as good as an evening.... well you know, both are quite intimate!!!!

cmh2001 12-22-2007 08:04 AM

I've run mine through a couple of times. I find it does a miserable job though. I think it is the flatness of the hood. The extra water tends to pool up there, dry, and then look terrible.

My Jeep is black, so of course its dirty all the time.

The wand wash car wash is my preferred method.

JK-KJ 12-22-2007 08:36 AM

I've taken my soft top through a few times with no real problems or leaks....just keep the a/c or heat blowing pretty hard with it on the "fresh-air" setting and it doesn't leak as bad, or at all. It doesn't do a great job on mine either, but when it's cold outside and you need to get mud off, it's better than nothing I guess.:D

EDIT: I'm referring to the TOUCHLESS wash, not the one with the nasty brushes that will surely scratch the windows.

AZ Bulldog 12-22-2007 08:46 AM

I guess I'm just a different breed of Jeep owner, I'll take it out and play anywhere but at the end of the trail it's time to look like new. I take mine through the brush type car-wash at least twice per week, never a leak or any other problem.

Sorry, let the bashings begin....

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...1/100_0449.jpg

justinstoffregen 12-22-2007 08:54 AM

I wash mine once a month in a brushless touchless car wash for a quick clean up. Jeep or no jeep I don't like taking my girlfriend to dinner in muddy shitty ride. I enjoy hand washing it also, but I haven't had a single problem with the washes. Also, there is a product called back to black that will help you keep the flenders and black parts shiny and black. It works really well.

JK-KJ 12-22-2007 09:00 AM

No bashing here, I'm a freak when it comes to cleaning...just don't like to do it!