Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep won’t start.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jeep won’t start.

Had to pull the battery and air cleaner boxes out and remove air cleaner tube to make enough room to get behind fender to install new inner fender liner. Put it back together and Jeep won’t start. Several fuses somehow blew in the process; radio and a cigarette lighter plug fuse. Replaced those. When turning the key, there are noises and clicks coming from the throttle body and tipm, which last a few seconds, then nothing happens. Any ideas?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

May be a stupid suggestion, but are you sure nothing bad happened to the battery? Maybe something shorted and sapped power from the battery.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

It was the 25a ignition circuit braker/relay. CB1 on the panel.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

That's interesting. Think that was just a freak occurrence? Any clue how all that shorted out?

What liners did you install? seems odd to have to pull all that to get an inner fender liner in. I know my Ace were literally 4 bolts, 10 minute install. Going to guess maybe you added a multi-piece liner??
Old 11-20-2018, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
It was the 25a ignition circuit braker/relay. CB1 on the panel.
CB1 serves only the power window circuits.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Yep. Not the CB1. I just so happened to do that one when I did the ignition fuse. Replacing M27 is what solved it, actually. Good call.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I must’ve been careless when removing the battery, installing it, or whatever. I don’t recall doing anything careless but I must have.

They are Mailer liners that require drilling a hole to install a bolt, and getting the nut on the back side was too hard to do without creating space. In summary, I’m a lousy tech who can’t install a fender liner without blowing fuses lol!!!
Old 11-21-2018, 01:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
... Replacing M27 is what solved it, actually. Good call.
A friend of mine was in a fender bender auto accident and afterward his Jeep wouldn't start. Turned out to be M27. Something during the accident caused it to fail. Go figure.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

The electrical leaves much to be desired. I added a heavy gauge ground from the battery to the alternator years ago. I have heard that the stock terminal connectors make for a lousy connection, given how skinny they are, resulting in random electrical issues. The ones on my Toyota trucks are huge, thick and heavy. I’ll upgrade mine. I actually replaced the M27 twice in this situation. It’s fine now but I guess simply r and r’ing the battey and fiddling with the connections here and there was enough to cause a problem.

Years ago it wouldn’t start and it was from the ground being poor, which prompted a search here and which lead me to add that heavy gauge ground from the negative terminal to the alternator.

Quick Reply: Jeep won’t start.