Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep wont start

Old 08-25-2015, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juggernutz
If the neutral trick does not work you're most likely going to start having to check to see if you have a loose ground somewhere. If you have a meter start checking from the battery to the starter with the key on. Could be the collision knocked a wire loose somewhere.
Yeah I need to start checking all the ground wires. That was my next guess for things to check. I'll have to pick up a meter this weekend
Old 08-25-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellowtj02
Have you tried checking the negative terminal to your battery? Mines loose as hell and every so often fails to make proper contact preventing the jeep from starting. I just wiggle it around and it fires right up. One day I'll replace or tighten it...
Yeah I've had that problem before here and there it always seems to happen in the morning for me but I tried that right after the accident and a few times a day since and it hasn't worked so I'm getting the voltage checked on it and see if it's the battery too
Old 08-25-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

The first thing I learned about a vehicle not starting (and turning over) is to make sure it is firing or getting spark and getting fuel. It could be any number of things and wind up chasing your tail. Have somebody listen for the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on, but not starting. To check for spark is either pull a plug, put the wire back on, ground it, turn over see if it sparks. Or you can get a spark plug tester. Take the wire off, put the tester on the end, attach wire to tester, start to see if it sparks.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right... but if its not even cranking... All of that goes out of the window and is now an electrical gremlin (wire, relay, fuse, solenoid...)
Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure if this applies to Jeeps but
Had a Ford Taurus wagon got rear ended nit very hard no real damage. Got out to exchange info got back in and car was not running did not remember turning off try to start and lots of cranking but no turn over. Called help line they informed me of inertia switch. Safety item that kills fuel pump to avoid spraying fuel in case of crash. Was located in rear cargo area. Just reset like a GFI and all was good.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chemlight_ninja
right... but if its not even cranking... All of that goes out of the window and is now an electrical gremlin (wire, relay, fuse, solenoid...)
True, I learned that too. But he said won't start which is different than won't crank. I assumed won't start means it does crank, maybe I assumed wrong.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OverKill
True, I learned that too. But he said won't start which is different than won't crank. I assumed won't start means it does crank, maybe I assumed wrong.
well, he did say in his OP that is wouldn't crank
Old 09-16-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default No crank no start

Originally Posted by Nicknowles22
I got into a small fender bender this morning where I read ended a little Honda and after getting all the insurance info my jeep wouldn't start. My lights come on and windows work and everything but it won't crank at all with the key I was able to arc it at the starter with my knife and the engine would turn over but not catch. I have no idea what it could be any one got any ideas?

so did you ever figure out what it was because I'm in the same situation Except i hit a pothole and everything shut off. i moved over to the side place the jeep in park and now it will not even crank. everything powered works except the engine and starter. please shed some light if you have it.

Quick Reply: Jeep wont start