Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep won't start??

Old 07-25-2017, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Jeep won't start??

2015 JKUR

Turn the key and 'click" then nothing. Dash lights go out and then a moment later come back on.

I've pulled the J13 fuse for 60 seconds. Still the same.
I disconnected the negative terminal on starter batt - Same thing
I tried jumping from my aux batt - No dice. It just clicked away and the mileage was blinking 'fuse' ??
I checked a bunch of fuses and they seem good.
I checked voltage on both batteries - 12.4 starter, slightly more on my aux deep cell.

I'm out of ideas and frustrated. Thankfully it's in my driveway. Never had anything like this happen for 48k miles now.

Any help or if I'm just missing something obvious I would appreciate it!

*Just for poops and giggles I tried both keys - same thing. I also tried locking the doors with the fob and it sounded very labored followed by a noise coming from fuse box for about 60 seconds. (doors didn't lock)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the power lead to your starter to see if it is tight.

If the bolt is not loose remove your batter terminal and clean them with a piece of sand paper.

R/
Will
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll take a look at the lead to starter.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I think your primary battery is bad. Disconnect that battery and try to start it with your aux battery. The stock batteries are known to die suddenly within 2 years. Something inside goes bad and makes strange things happen. When mine died, I was not able to jump it unless the other car was running at a high rpm. Then after I got it started, the dash board, tack, and speedo looked possessed. I suspect one of the cells in your battery is bad.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

By bad, I don't just mean weak. A bad battery can sap power from your aux batt when they are connected together, thereby significantly reducing cranking amp ability.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not the battery. I disconnected it and hooked up my aux battery. Just clicks away and where the mileage readout is, it alternates from the miles to the word "fuse".

It sounds like a fuse popping when I turn the key. I will investigate all the fuses I guess at this point. Wiring on the starter itself are good. Starting battery shows 12.8 volts on the voltometer. I even hit the starter with a hammer a few times just in case it was somehow locked up.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
By bad, I don't just mean weak. A bad battery can sap power from your aux batt when they are connected together, thereby significantly reducing cranking amp ability.
I've been reading about running a second ground wire from some of the forums and that seems to fix the problem... ugh... stay tuned.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you tried a battery jumper pack? Like Rob_Engineer is saying I've experienced weird battery problems, where no load open voltage check is normal. Put a load on the battery and kaput voltage. I once chased diodes, neutral switch and other switches cause a cell was shot within the battery. It was a huge time waste for a junk battery. A booster/jumper pack able to start the vehicle will give you some sense of direction. If not a jumper pack, can you borrow a known good battery from a friend or neighbor?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seizer
Have you tried a battery jumper pack? Like Rob_Engineer is saying I've experienced weird battery problems, where no load open voltage check is normal. Put a load on the battery and kaput voltage. I once chased diodes, neutral switch and other switches cause a cell was shot within the battery. It was a huge time waste for a junk battery. A booster/jumper pack able to start the vehicle will give you some sense of direction. If not a jumper pack, can you borrow a known good battery from a friend or neighbor?
I think it may be the battery. All the interior lights and dash lights seem to really dim when I try to turn it over. I'm just going to head down and pick up a new battery. At 2.5 years old I'm pretty sure it will need one soon enough anyway.

I will report back when I get it in.

Oh and I tried the BS starting it in nuetral (auto trans) and running an extra ground wire to the alternator. Nothing. I'm thinking battery.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

It was the battery

Quick Reply: Jeep won't start??