Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK 2012 Engine Tick and Fuel Economy Issue?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK 2012 Engine Tick and Fuel Economy Issue?

First just wanted to shout out to the community and say thanks for all the valuable information I've found on this forum.

Second, I am curious if anybody has seen an issue with a 2012 JK engine tick on the driver side that would cause a MPG issue. I'm currently seeing a similar tick to what others have reported but at the same time my fuel economy is hovering at about 12 mpg street and 14-15 freeway. I've already taken my car into a dealer and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong since the check engine light wasn't lit. I only have 13000 miles on the vehicle currently and the only mods are a new front bumper and a MyGIG Lockpick which I don't think could cause the issues.

Does anybody have any suggestions or seen this issue previously, I haven't been able to locate any threads with similar problems for the 3.6 Pentastar JK yet?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Here's a couple of threads to get you started. It seems Chyrsler knows there is a problem, but are just buying some time. Basically they won't due anything until that check engine light comes on and throws a code. They may reflash your computer and send you off your way. Like others, you just have to continue to drive it until you get that engine light to turn on..

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...er-6-a-220681/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ngines-227770/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...-fixed-225376/

Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

This is a common issue with the 2012. I had the same thing. The heads were milled wrong. Its covered under warranty. Take it to your dealership. They will fix it. Mine was done and it runs great now. Don't wait to long it will start throwing codes and it take upto a couple of months to get the head in. Your dealership is playing dumb. This is a common problem with the 3.6 not just in the jeep. The Caravan's have the same issue.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Krashkource
First just wanted to shout out to the community and say thanks for all the valuable information I've found on this forum.

Second, I am curious if anybody has seen an issue with a 2012 JK engine tick on the driver side that would cause a MPG issue. I'm currently seeing a similar tick to what others have reported but at the same time my fuel economy is hovering at about 12 mpg street and 14-15 freeway. I've already taken my car into a dealer and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong since the check engine light wasn't lit. I only have 13000 miles on the vehicle currently and the only mods are a new front bumper and a MyGIG Lockpick which I don't think could cause the issues.

Does anybody have any suggestions or seen this issue previously, I haven't been able to locate any threads with similar problems for the 3.6 Pentastar JK yet?
I would go right back to the dealership and insist they contact Chrysler regarding it. Chrysler has to replace the head, as its under warranty.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, I took my car to a different dealer and they too said that it was a normal noise for the Pentastar engine to make. I took a video this evening to illustrate the noise if any of you mind taking a listen to see if you think that there is indeed something wrong as I suspect.

http://youtu.be/7YaoQn8XlWI I am unsure how to get the dealer to acknowledge the issue if there is a problem since now two of them have told me that they cant do anything.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 PM
JK Junkie

Do an Internet search, there is a lot of info about the "Pentastar tick" that not only affects the Wranglers but also other Chrysler vehicles. Below is what I found thru Motortrend. There are also numerous youtube videos about the issue. Print some materials out and show the dealership or you can escalate your case directly thru Chrysler. But as previously mentioned, in most cases nothing is done until a check engine light comes on and a code is thrown. Best of luck

http:// wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-chrysler-pentastar-v-6-could-experience-warped-cylinder-heads-245941.html#axzz2Qsw2DcJ9

Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thats certainly not a normal engine noise no matter what they say, id show that video to the dealer Manager, if that does not assist, i would Email Chrysler with the video and see what they say.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 AM
JK Freak

I have 9000 miles on mine, and it guess it ticks. I figure if it starts to throw codes. I'll just clear them for awhile. That way I am thinking a reflash won't work. From what I hear the reflash just changes the number of misfires before it throws s code. The gas mileage does suck on these new motors if you have any kind of right leg muscle. My '98 Cherokee get way better gas mileage.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

I bought my JKU 12 in August and is my first jeep so I'm trying to be forgiving when I hear ticks thinking it might be normal for a jeep. However I def here something on mine at times. Plus I did sooo much research on MPG and decided on my jeep based on the advertised MPG. I'm averaging about 16.5mpg. I love my jeep and summertime makes owning a jeep better but damn I feel like jeep could have done something to get this efficiency better and not inflate the numbers for new buyers.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Whats weird is that at first (Before September 2012) I had just about the advertised mileage for my Jeep. I really don't know what caused it to suddenly drop and I had assumed at least before I really paid attention to the ticking noise that it was because of winter mixture gas.

Quick Reply: JK 2012 Engine Tick and Fuel Economy Issue?