JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Jk brakes heating up randomley (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/jk-brakes-heating-up-randomley-223300/)

surveyor 03-16-2012 10:10 AM

Jk brakes heating up randomley

Got an 08 JK brake problem. The brakes heat up randomly, we drove 20 miles to a store and the back left rim and rotor were so smoking hot, drove home and the front right was warm and back left was smoking hot! Any ideas??

Wrangled 03-16-2012 10:29 AM

Must be the pad staying in contact with the rotor. Probably either the caliper is sticking, or is ceased. lift the wheel off the ground and give it a spin and find out what is rubbing and why.

surveyor 03-16-2012 10:36 AM

I lifted the rear and could hand turn the wheels but noticed the RR was draging, so i pried the cylinder away with somwhat of ease. That worked for a minute then the other side tightend after a short drive. Could this be something electronic as to why they all drag randomly??

eslack32 03-16-2012 11:11 AM

Is brake light on the dash staying lit?

surveyor 03-16-2012 11:50 AM

NOPE, There are no warning lights on. I'm going to google this, but does anyone know how to disable the ESP system...the book procedure does not work.

Tanman823 03-16-2012 04:41 PM

Same happened to my 08, when I took it to thedealer they said it was a bad brake caliper and replaced the whole thing. Mine was the rear driver side. Had a lot of smoke coming out aster I drove maybe 10 miles

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Sahara_Maverick 03-16-2012 08:05 PM

Air in the brake lines can also do that as the air expands when hot, therefore applying more pressure than it normally would.

Are your brakes working normally? The only symptom of abnormality is the excessive heat?

If you have experience bleed the lines to make sure there's no air.

Also check if the pistons that move the calipers are seizing, but I seems you already did that.

surveyor 03-19-2012 02:57 AM

I disabled the ESP, now the brakes work fine no rubbing and heating up. I knew it was something electronic because there wasn't a consistant wheel hanging up. They all heated up but not at the same time. Please if someone has had this problem and/or knows what causes this, ie speed sensor etc. let me know.

Markdsv 03-19-2012 03:08 AM

Maybe referred to already but pull your ABS fuse, might be a faulty sensor :what?:

Rubi_Chill 03-19-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tanman823
Same happened to my 08, when I took it to thedealer they said it was a bad brake caliper and replaced the whole thing. Mine was the rear driver side. Had a lot of smoke coming out aster I drove maybe 10 miles

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I had the exact same problem. 09 drivers side rear caliper. I had 2 other brakes dragging, but dealer said 1 bad caliper messes with the system and made the others rub.