Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK TICKing noise any thoughts

Old 02-08-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK TICKing noise any thoughts

Hey folks

Just brought my Jeep into the shop and that is rare for me. But I have a ticking noise coming from the driver side somewhere. It is hard to pinpoint. It gets faster when RPM's increase. When it gets warm, warm enough for the fan to kick on the sound on the passenger side gets more gear meshing sounding and the other side continues to tick.

1. Plenty of oil just changed and always synthetic
2. Happens while idling, or accelerating.

Initial thoughts Cracked manifold but cannot find and I do not hear air coming out, second thought stuck valve but that would make it run like crap and it runs....like a 3.8 minivan engine, what do you guys think?

THanks

STEP
Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Exhaust manifold gasket? does the sound soften or go away when the engine is warmed up?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

When Redneck Jeep was active on this forum he had a ticking noise. Now, be aware that there is a ticking noise associated with the fuel injection, and that's perfectly normal. But his was different. It took many months to track down the problem, and a lot of repair work. I don't recall the details, but I seem to remember them rebuilding his heads. You might search on his posts from a few years back. Hope that this isn't what you're experiencing.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 AM
JK Junkie

Does the ticking speed up and slow down with RPM?

I had an old Nissan Pathfinder that had a leak in the exhaust manifold, and it made a "ticking" sound of sorts that varied with engine speed.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Stepsride
1. Plenty of oil just changed and always synthetic
2. Happens while idling, or accelerating.

THanks

STEP
your first problem is running synthetic(has been known to cause more oil consumption) on a engine that is known to consume oil thats bad... second

I had a very similar problem, and the fact that its happening when it gets warm it very well could be the problem i had.

go under the engine while its warm and hit the cat with a rubber mallet lightly... if it makes the same rattling its probably the cats that have failed.

Mine did the same thing, they had to replace the cats at 30k... they failed. it started pretty quite then it started rattling when it would get warm and only when accelerating kind of like pinging but not exactly.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep rookie
Exhaust manifold gasket? does the sound soften or go away when the engine is warmed up?
1. I thought that as well as an easy fix but it is constant both hot and cold.

2. Also Ticking does go up and down with RPM

Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gijeep
your first problem is running synthetic(has been known to cause more oil consumption) on a engine that is known to consume oil thats bad... second

I had a very similar problem, and the fact that its happening when it gets warm it very well could be the problem i had.

go under the engine while its warm and hit the cat with a rubber mallet lightly... if it makes the same rattling its probably the cats that have failed.

Mine did the same thing, they had to replace the cats at 30k... they failed. it started pretty quite then it started rattling when it would get warm and only when accelerating kind of like pinging but not exactly.

Makes sense since the Cat on the driver side are closer to the driver side front wheel well. Hence where there is more noise. I will give it a try.
Thanks

BTW- I have very little oil consumption over 4500 mile oil change interval. Maybe a half quart. Maybe thats what wrong. LOL
STEP
Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

What does injector tick sound like? I have a tick that is heard under light load at low speed, and is louder when going up hill at low speed. It is not present when it's cold. It is also not present at idle or in park.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

My buddy had a ticking noise on his JK... But it turned out to be the turn signal. I'm guessing you ruled that out! LOL
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickJK
My buddy had a ticking noise on his JK... But it turned out to be the turn signal. I'm guessing you ruled that out! LOL

NICE

Quick Reply: JK TICKing noise any thoughts