Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JKU X offroad capabilities.....

Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK09TX
Thanks for the input. That really helped me. I have seen that Fin N' Things is a short trail. Am I capable of doing Hells Revenge and Fin N' Things in one day?
Never have done Hells Revenge, so can't speak to it. But, Fins and Things has a road that divides it into two halves. You can drive past the beginning of the trail along that road until you find the place where Fins and Things crosses it (the Wells' book will guide you there), then pick up Fins and Things from there. Just be aware that the second half is where the really fun stuff is; the first part just prepares you for the ride. You can do the second half in a couple hours easy.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexing

Do I need to do any adjustments so that I do not damage any parts while flexing? Like the brake line will they be ok?

Also I am thinking about changing out the shocks since I have close to 85,000 miles. The budget boost kit came with shock mount extensions so I am using the OEM shocks still. I want to know what type of shock should I use for a 2.5 bb lift on the front and 2 in on the rear? or should I keep the mount extension and replace the OEM with another pair same size?

I do not know much about shocks.

What are some good shocks that will not break the bank?

I plan to put a bigger lift when I get 35" tires later down the road. The budget boost was a gift from the wife, so it could get a better stance.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I would go longer shocks. Rancho, fox, Bilstien are all good and affordable. It is such a blast in Moab I already am wanting to go back and I was there less then 3 weeks ago. fins and things is a breeze and you will have no problem in a stock jeep. One thing you will find is traction is incredible so you will do things that look difficult but due to the traction are not. We did fins and things twice back to back and the second time we decided to see how much of it we could do in 2wd and there were only a few section that required to shift to 4wd. fins and things and hells revenge can easily be done in a day. I highly suggest hitting top of the world too., if for no other reason than it is a cool photo.

Little baby lions back is fun to get primed for fins and things. it is smooth and easy.

This is the steep part mark Doiron is talking about. You do feel like you are going to auger in but you won't. We did it about 6 times because it freaked us out so bad we wanted to see if it eventually would get to the point it did feel like we were going over but it was the same feeling each time lol.

We did not think Kenny's hill was bad just because traction is so good.

This is coming down from Top of the world.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a long day, but yes you can do Hell's Revenge and Fins'n'Things in one day. Do Hell's first, then Fins.

When we went a few years ago, we went with a stock JKUR and it had no problems whatsoever. You will do fine.

Have fun!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Engineer Pass from Lake City is just a dirt road. Outstanding scenery, however. When you get to the top don't be surprised if you see xTerras, Suburbans, etc, it's that easy. If you go through Ouray, it does become a lot rougher. Expect to scrape the bottom of your Jeep. If you don't want to do that, stay off that part of the trail. Never have done the way through Cinnamon Pass (Alpine Loop), but pretty sure it's more like up from Lake City.

Here's a video of last year on Engineer Pass, Lake City to Ouray ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1dvPQyn3og Fins and Things is a blast--think of a slow motion roller coaster. After a very short distance into it and you get to an extremely steep, but short descent, take it. Your Jeep will be fine. I mention that because twice I've had people driving my Jeep who stopped there and said the Jeep will never make it. Yes it will! I've seen stock Rubis run it. Don't think it would be a problem for an X/Sport, though there are a few sandy spots you might wish you had better tires. As you drive in you'll see Lion's Back (closed) and Baby Lion's Back. take a good look at Baby Lion's Back. If you think only a nut would drive up there, well, you'll be on stuff just as challenging on Fins and Things.

Haven't been on Fins and Things since I started shooting video, but here are a few stills ...

Because of this particular drop off, recommend that you run this with the front sway bar disconnected. This is especially so for those small OEM tires. That way the axle can swing down and give you some stability as you cross this. If you don't have quick disconnects, take the hand tools and time to do the job (about ten minutes before and after). Use zip-ties to secure the swaybar up out of the way.

This is Kenny's Hill. There's a bypass.

Going up Kenny's Hill.

Be careful coming off Kenny's Hill (even if you take the bypass). It's difficult to see the lay of the land and you could end up like I did. You pass right below this on the way to Kenny's Hill, so give it a good look-over so you know where you cant to come off it, especially with those OEM tires.

Finally, the Charles Wells books for Moab and Colorado are very helpful on both of these trails. Strongly recommend that you pick up and take with you and follow along in the books mile-by-mile.
What all do I need to do and bring with me to make this a successful ride? will I need to disconnect my sway bar links? what tire pressure should I have? what tools should I take with me on my trip? I plan to take off from Ouray.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK09TX

What all do I need to do and bring with me to make this a successful ride? will I need to disconnect my sway bar links? what tire pressure should I have? what tools should I take with me on my trip? I plan to take off from Ouray.
Disconnecting sway bars will be helpful while playing off road. Basic recovery tools and survival gear are always recommended too. There are plenty of threads on this topic, use the search option!

Some basics are:
-Adj. wrenches
-Muti. socket set (metric)
-Shackles
-Snatch strap (without metal hooks)
-Tire repair kit
-Air compressor (run stock tires at 15-20psi)
-Shovel
-Ratchet straps
-Bailing wire
-Duct tape
-Trash bags
-Extra food and water
-Extra clothes
-First aid kit
-Fire extinguisher
-Extra fuses
-2nd set of keys
-Extra Jeep fluids (oil, brake, trans, windshield)

As others have stated, go slow and stay off the skinny pedal. Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply: JKU X offroad capabilities.....