Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

kayak mounting on a 4 door

Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kayak mounting on a 4 door

Hey I know there are a lot of threads about mounting a kayak to the jeep but everyone's response is to just buy a rack...unfortunately that's not a possibility for me... here's my problem, I can mount it easily without the top on...but I want to know if I can safely mount it on my soft top by using the sound bar as a support...I have the foam blocks and I have a hitch mounted "goal post" hitch extender...I wanted to use the goal post and my windshield to support it but the kayak is just too short. Any ideas would be great
Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tandem 16-foot kayak, that me and my wife use. Buying a rack is not an option for me as I won't be able to get into the parking garage at work.

I mount mine with the soft top on. I just strap the front end to the shackles on my LoD bumper, and do the exact same thing with the rear. Usually if we are going kayaking its less than a 30 minute drive for us getting to the location.

Most of our trips that are longer for kayaking we take during the summer and at that point the top is down so I have more mounting points.

Quick Reply: kayak mounting on a 4 door