Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Left rear brake over heating

Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I saw this post. Will check my e brake tomorrow. Last week my front passenger caliper locked and caused dangerous braking conditions and smoking. Replaced the caliper and pads and seemed to brake fine. Three days later my rear driver side was running hot and felt drag. Never had a vehicle do this to me before. 08 Jeep with 38K miles and running Hawk Performance pads.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any follow up on this? I've had issue with both my rear brakes locking up at different times. I replaced both calipers in the last year and thought the issue was fixed until yesterday. In just my short 30 min drive home, my rear right side was smoking hot.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lifters
Any follow up on this? I've had issue with both my rear brakes locking up at different times. I replaced both calipers in the last year and thought the issue was fixed until yesterday. In just my short 30 min drive home, my rear right side was smoking hot.
I had issues with my rear driver side caliper sticking. So I replaced it, and six months later the new one was locking up. It ended up being the flexible brake line, if they get stretched, or sometimes just from age, the inside can collapse, although not usually apparent on the outside. This will allow the fluid to pass through under the pressure from the master cylinder, but will not release pressure readily when you let off the breaks, eventually the pressure will bleed back down, so when you go to mess with it after everything has cooled back off, the pressure will have leaked back down and everything will appear normal. At least that is what I attributed it to, after replacing the factory lines with aftermarket lines I have had no issues for 3 or 4 years.

Quick Reply: Left rear brake over heating