Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question

Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pylot7
I understand that the springs are determined based on the way the jeep is ordered and equipped.

But, there is a big difference in the springs that make up the 4-5K GVW and the 5-6K GVW.

That is what I am interested in finding out. What are those part numbers?

We are not going to find any springs on a 5-6K GVW jeep that would also be found on the 4-5K GVW jeeps regardless of how they are equipped.
I think it's a good idea and all.....but man lemmie tell you somethin. I'm a thirty year tenure mechanic. I got a buddy whose a thirty year tenure MOPAR PARTS man. What does that BS mean? It means we have more experience fuckin stuff up than most other people. We've spent literally housr trying to figure this same thing out. I can tell you this with 100% accuracy. You ain't gonna get an appraciable lift outta swappin STOCK springs if that's your goal. There are some differences in spring rates from one part number to another, but even taking one extreme comparing it to the other, you still won't end up with one inch difference in height. It's the RATE that's different. Rate and static height are two entirely different animals. Your best bet is to just go with a good quality aftermarket lift and be done with it.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sprngssssssss

unlimited x towpackage
hardtop
front driver52126316ab
rear 68004457aa
black shocks
g
Old 05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey RedneckJeep! I am an ex crew chief from a professional racing team. I understand spring rates.

I am not looking for lift at all.

I am looking to reduce the sag from some added weight.

With the rate on some of the springs being high enough to increase the GVW to 5-6K pounds the rate has to be substantially higher than the lesser version.

You get that putting in a bb and adding weight is a waste of time. But putting in a higher rate spring set rated for a full 1000 pounds over what I got would reduce the sag factor.

Thanks for the entry Yendor65!

Last edited by Pylot7; 05-12-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4.0 out of a TJ is heavier (therfore higher spring rate) and the stock TJ springs will give you about 1" of lift to compensate for added weight.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting idea for the thread... gonna have to watch this one.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<--- is VERY glad RubyDoo is a G girl.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

great information, I'm going to make sure the jeep I get (eventually) has a fourth letter vin des of "g"
Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

The higher number should be on the left. It is a slightly heavier spring. You put the 18 on the left so you are good to go!
Here's mine, but it came stock with the higher number spring on the right front side (right front is 52126316AB) In another thread, https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=52126315ab , post # 9 states the same spring setup as mine on an unlimited. My '08 Unlimited X has the 24s pkg which apparently has the same springs and higher number on the right side, as the '08 Unlimited Rubicon in post 9 in the above thread.

1 - unlimited x (no tow pkg)
2 - hardtop
3 - front driver side 52126315AB
4 - rear 68004459AA
5 - black shocks
6 - g
7 - 2008

Last edited by motorvated; 05-13-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey RedneckJeep! I am an ex crew chief from a professional racing team. I understand spring rates.

I am not looking for lift at all.

I am looking to reduce the sag from some added weight.

With the rate on some of the springs being high enough to increase the GVW to 5-6K pounds the rate has to be substantially higher than the lesser version.

You get that putting in a bb and adding weight is a waste of time. But putting in a higher rate spring set rated for a full 1000 pounds over what I got would reduce the sag factor.

Thanks for the entry Yendor65!
Good to know. Then as such, you should know that an aftermarket progressive rate spring will better suit your needs.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Good to know. Then as such, you should know that an aftermarket progressive rate spring will better suit your needs.
But how does that answer the OP's goal of upgrading on the cheap?

Replacing a 350 lb-per-inch spring with a 400 lb-per-inch will certainly give a little "lift" as it will take more weight to compress the spring. Since I have no clue what the various spring rates are for all of the JK models (and neither does anyone else so far), I see this as a perfectly valid exercise.

Anybody want to buy by Rubi springs and shocks for a on-the-cheap upgrade? OK to wait to answer until all the facts are in. I'll get the P/Ns from my springs tonight. Have a "G" in the 4th VIN location.

Quick Reply: Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question