Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lifetime warranty owners ... Don't let your warranty lapse!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime warranty owners ... Don't let your warranty lapse!

So you may have thought your warranty was for the Lifetime of the vehicle, but that is only true if you meet certain restrictions. Namely, you must have a MANDATORY drivetrain inspection done within a 60 day window on the 5 year anniversary of your Jeep purchase.

Here is what happened to me:
I moved right around the 5 year anniversary of my Jeep purchase, so for some reason I didn't get the postcard in the mail telling me about my MANDATORY drivetrain inspection until a few weeks ago. I scheduled the appointment, and then got a call back from the dealership saying that my LIFETIME warranty had lapsed. I was obviously shocked. The dealership suggested I call Chrysler HQ...so I did. My 60 day window for getting the inspection done expired in June of this year...so they said (after much discussion and multiple phone calls) that they would extend the LIFETIME warranty if I had the inspection done prior to Sept. 30th. I already had an appointment, so I figured it would be a no brainer and I would be good to go within the week.
Not so fast!
The dealership found that I had a leaky water pump and a small problem with my intake manifold. Both had to be fixed to pass inspection. "So fix it" I said...assuming it was under warranty.
"Mmmmm yeah, you see, unfortunately Chrysler has stipulated that you will pay for any repairs required to pass inspection..."
"What?!!!" I said.
"Perhaps you should call Chrysler and talk it over with them."
So that's what I did. I called Chrysler. And they said, if I want the LIFETIME warranty back, I will have to pay for the charges to pass inspection.
Crap!
But wait, I have a bumper to bumper warranty that I added to my LIFETIME warranty that lasts until 100k miles or 6 years. So I call the dealership and talk to them about the bumper to bumper warranty. They tell me that they'll call the warranty company once I give them the 800 number.
I wait for confirmation but feel relieved that it'll be covered. So I get a call back from the dealership.
"I'm sorry, but the warranty you have is called a 'Wrap warranty', which means it covers everything that ISN'T already covered by your LIFETIME warranty (and assumes the LIFETIME warranty will last...a LIFETIME)."

So all this to say, I will be paying over $700+tax to get my LIFETIME warranty re-instated. Oh, and by the way, I have NEVER had ANY warranty work done on my Jeep to date.

Learn a lesson from me please. If you have the LIFETIME warranty, don't let it lapse. Take it in for that free inspection around the 5 year anniversary.

So I've lost money here, but I want it back. All the work I've done on my Jeep just because I like doing it myself...I will now take into the dealership. I will FIND work to be done...trust me.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about ur troubles, but a BIG THANK YOU for sharing this information. I have the lifetime warranty too ad never knew about this.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Chrysler will do anything to fu out of your lifetime warranty I had the same problems with my radio on day one on my NEW jeep have had 20+ radios put in guess what its not just the radio but to get them to replace anything else is impossible now will not even put factory one back in just a aftermarket and guess what it will void my warranty if I do even though that Chrysler told me they will pay for it!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! I too purchased lifetime warranty and nothing was said about having a 5 year check up done. I guess I have 4 yrs and 6 months to get my post card in the mail. Thanks for the heads up
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

I got mine yesterday. The dealer they said to take it to is not a friendly mod dealership. Do I have to take my jeep there or can I take it to another Jeep dealership?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chad s
Wow! I too purchased lifetime warranty and nothing was said about having a 5 year check up done. I guess I have 4 yrs and 6 months to get my post card in the mail. Thanks for the heads up
The lifetime power train warranty only applies to certain vehicles purchased between certain dates. Late 07s through early 09s. Someone will post the real dates of the program, I hope!

This wasn't a plan anyone purchased, it was a program give away by Chrysler.

EDIT. See link in post below for FAQ and program dates.

Last edited by Jiblet; 09-11-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by felix zavala
I got mine yesterday. The dealer they said to take it to is not a friendly mod dealership. Do I have to take my jeep there or can I take it to another Jeep dealership?
You can take it to ANY jeep dealer.

http://www.jeep.com/en/lifetime_powe...ranty/faq.html

Last edited by Jiblet; 09-11-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is due 3/2014 or somewhere around that date. I have a righty so they might give me a little trouble about that.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

I missed out on mine, lapsed December of last year, I haven't tried goin to claim it, I'm too busy working but I never got a post card about it, I doubt I'll have any luck getting it
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Warranty is only good if they honor it.We could not wait til our warranty period ended

Quick Reply: Lifetime warranty owners ... Don't let your warranty lapse!