Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Limited Slip

Old 01-04-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you see a lot of snow and ice the LS might not be the best choice. We got a lot of snow today and I have the LS in my dodge truck and when it gets slippery it doesn't like it much. I actually had a harder time going up some hills in the neighborhood than guys without the LS. If you don't see a lot of snow then you will be fine.

Just another thought,
Bryan
Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by duneslider
If you see a lot of snow and ice the LS might not be the best choice. We got a lot of snow today and I have the LS in my dodge truck and when it gets slippery it doesn't like it much. I actually had a harder time going up some hills in the neighborhood than guys without the LS. If you don't see a lot of snow then you will be fine.

Just another thought,
Bryan

Yup...One wheel drive is always better than two.....
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

LS is not as good as a locker, but it is a good idea to have if your Jeep is a DD.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:31 AM
JK Super Freak

When wheel'n in snow or sand the LSD has been awesome. I fully disable the ESP (by holding the ESP button 5 sec). I have this one hill behind my house that I can make if it's (ESP) turned off, but not if it's turned on. When I don't make it, the BLSD bogged me down until the Jeep died. I do make it with the ESP turned off. The LSD is mech so is not disabled like the BLSD. Having an LSD is the next best thing to locking your rear diff.

Now, when I'm just driving on a trail, on the streets in the snow, or in some mud I leave the ESP on. In those scenerios, the BLSD works like a champ.

Side note: I highly recommend picking a tough hill and trying all of the settings: 4hi, 4hi w/ ESP partially off, 4hi w/ ESP fully off and 4lo in which ESP defaults to full off.

Mine is a daily driver, so I never planed to upgrade to lockers. Having said that, I'm very pleased that my JK has the LSD.

Last edited by shredX; 01-07-2007 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shredX
When wheel'n in snow or sand the LSD has been awesome. I fully disable the ESP (by holding the ESP button 5 sec). I have this one hill behind my house that I can make if it's (ESP) turned off, but not if it's turned on. When I don't make it, the BLSD bogged me down until the Jeep died. I do make it with the ESP turned off. The LSD is mech so is not disabled like the BLSD. Having an LSD is the next best thing to locking your rear diff.

Now, when I'm just driving on a trail, on the streets in the snow, or in some mud I leave the ESP on. In those scenerios, the BLSD works like a champ.

Side note: I highly recommend picking a tough hill and trying all of the settings: 4hi, 4hi w/ ESP partially off, 4hi w/ ESP fully off and 4lo in which ESP defaults to full off.

Mine is a daily driver, so I never planed to upgrade to lockers. Having said that, I'm very pleased that my JK has the LSD.
So....you're saying doing mud is better with the esp? I would have assumed mud would be better without. :confused: Please elaborate.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LSD is mech so is not disabled like the BLSD. Having an LSD is the next best thing to locking your rear diff.

The BLS is always on, even when you turn off ESP completely. All other TCS and ESP functions are disabled, but the "limited slip" ESP function is always on. It's most likely working along with your LSD and getting you up that hill nicely

Chances are some other TCS function is making it harder to get up that hill, but putting it in 4-lo will kill the ESP system. Except the BLS.

Last edited by doojer; 01-07-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dutch
So....you're saying doing mud is better with the esp? I would have assumed mud would be better without. :confused: Please elaborate.
Mud w/o going up hill. I have limited expeirience in mud considering where I live. I'm basing my statement on me going through mud on flat ground and watching vids of 2K2 going up hills.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by doojer
The BLS is always on, even when you turn off ESP completely. All other TCS and ESP functions are disabled, but the "limited slip" ESP function is always on. It's most likely working along with your LSD and getting you up that hill nicely

Chances are some other TCS function is making it harder to get up that hill, but putting it in 4-lo will kill the ESP system. Except the BLS.
Good to know. I just assumed the BLS was the thing bogging me down, and assumed it was disabled when you hold the ESP button down 5 seconds.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Good to know. I just assumed the BLS was the thing bogging me down, and assumed it was disabled when you hold the ESP button down 5 seconds.

Thanks!
Most likely the esp is cutting back on engine power to keep wheels from spinning. Just push the button once in 2wd & that part of the system will be disabled.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LSD Trac-Lok on Sahara

I assume that when everyone is talking about the BLS they are referring to the TCS? The TCS works by applying the brake to the wheel that is spinning, in theory applying more power to the other wheel. There were a couple of posts implying that there are two separate systems, but from what I can read in the manual they are the same.

My Sahara came with the LSD or the Trac-Lok as it is called. I am wondering how it all works together with TCS. It seems almost counter productive to have the TCS come on and slow the spinning wheel, when in theory the Trac-Lok should come into play and transfer the power to the other wheel.

Any comments?

Marc
2dr Black Sahara

Quick Reply: Limited Slip