JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Locked out (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/locked-out-27262/)

RIVER_RAT 01-30-2008 12:00 PM

Locked out

I pulled a bonehead move this morning and locked myself out of the Jeep. Stopped at the video rental store to drop off a DVD. Got out, shut door with key in ignition, Jeep running, come back to find that I am locked out. I guess I may have accidentally tripped the e-lock button on my way out. Anyway, while waiting for my wife to come and bail me out by bringing the extra key I had a thought and was able to get in by unziping the rear window (soft top). Had not thought about it before but that was just too easy. Now I know that if someone wants to get into this vehicle they are going to get in but, what if anything have you guys done to make it more secure?

j&k'sjk 01-30-2008 12:17 PM

can you secure the zipper on the inside? thank's for the heads up

mcds99 01-30-2008 12:21 PM

Get a hard top it's the only way.

If they want to get in they will and with a soft top it might just be a good thing to leave it locked but accessable. They use knives to open soft tops when they see something they want.

Yes they can break a window on a hard top but it makes noise. Just don't leave anything in it that can be seen.

poppakristof 01-30-2008 12:21 PM

So is there really a need to lock the doors when you have the soft top?
I can understand with the half doors keep it unlocked but what about full doors and a softy?

Splash 01-30-2008 12:23 PM

Oooh Oooh oooh!! I get to be the first?

It's a JEEP THING.

Seriously, as many, many posters have pointed out in many other threads ... security in a jeep -- or most any convertable -- is an oxymoron.
If you're lucky, they'll unzip a window like you did. If you're not lucky, you'll be replacing a slashed window or top.

edit ... I see I don't type fast enough to be the first.

StuDad 01-30-2008 12:32 PM

my brother always locks his door when he rides with me in my soft topped jeep. I've never locked any of the doors. I lock the glove box and the console, but not the doors.

as much as I'd like to get tinted rear windows, I'd hate to HAVE to get them due to some slacker with a knife

Ridebreck 01-30-2008 12:42 PM

I've had my Jeep for a month now, and the first few weeks involved me consciously training myself to stop locking the doors. It was tough at first because I was so afraid of someone just walking up and stealing it, but soon it just sort of clicked and I came to the realization that if someone wants in it bad enough, there isn't anything I'm going to be able to do to stop them. I must admit that now it's strangely liberating to just pull up somewhere and hop out without giving it a second thought.

stronzini 01-30-2008 12:50 PM

I had mine locked in front of my house earlier this month. Some moron decided that it was easier to break the passenger front window than just unzip the soft top. Maybe he was just too stupid, but he did manage to run off with my PSP that I had forgot on the front seat.

saltman 01-30-2008 12:52 PM

Locking doors in a Jeep is asking for trouble. FYI the hardtop is just as easy to get into, if you try. Well maybe not as easy. but easy nonetheless.

scottcarp 01-30-2008 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by StuDad (Post 318541)
...I've never locked any of the doors. I lock the glove box and the console, but not the doors...

Unless you have a Tuffy box or console (or similar), I wouldn't even lock those. They're too easy to bust open, then they're ruined. I've had mine rifled through in parking garages with the soft top on. I know that if the box had been locked, the lock would have ended up on the floor.

Locks on Jeeps (and consoles and glove boxes) just keep honest people honest - they barely slow down the scumbags.