Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"Lower end giving out"???

Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Lower end giving out"???

The master mechanic at my local dealer told me he could hear my "lower end" given out on startup. I was suspicious but I do admit I hear what I call a "dry" sarting sound at start up after the car has set several hours or perhaps a day then the sound goes away as soon as the oil pressure seems to come up. It doesn't burn oil or anything like that. Its just this sound and the nagging quote of "your lower end is giving out". Anyone know anything about this? Would something like Patron engine treatment help?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It's drainback from the oil filter, and the noise is top end from dry lifters that have to be pumped up. I've tried heavier oils and non-Mopar brand filters but came back to a stock Mopar 409 filter and 5w-30 as the best combination to combat that racket.

Quick Reply: "Lower end giving out"???