Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

M/T or A/T Tires

Old 09-28-2017, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbeabout
Consider a hybrid like the Ridge Grappler or Duratrack. I switched from Trail Grapplers to the Ridge Grapplers and I am very happy with them. I can't tell the difference off road to tell you the truth.
Duratracks sucked for me..... took care of them - rotated them, balanced them and they still got very noisy on the freeway.... it was a relief when I got BFG MT's (the first generation) as my jeep got quieter!

But to answer your question - BFG AT's are probably (in my mind at least they are) one of the best all around tires. Great tread wear - they seem to last forever, great performance on the trail and amazing on your fuel economy.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
But as most JK Forum members do, most Jeepers choose tires based primarily on appearance, then they tell themselves that it performs better or try and justify it by insisting they do a lot more off-roading and more serious off-roading than they actually do. I mean, around here I see grocery store parking lots packed with JKs with 3+" lift and 33-35" M/T tires that never, ever leave pavement, and even if they did, there is virtually no Central TX off-road conditions where M/T tires benefit outweigh the drawbacks vs. A/T.
LOL!!! Now you're speaking the truth and that won't be tolerated.

I always, shake my head in the tire discussions on these forums where I'll make a generalized statement about M/Ts and mention they're typically better for offroad traction over an A/T but are generally noisier on road and are not known to perform as well in icy conditions. Then there's always "that guy" who has M/Ts and is only able to focus on the downside of that generalization and comes in yelling, "Not my M/Ts, they're the greatest thing on the road in those areas sinced sliced bread was invented."

I told myself I wasn't going to make that statement in this discussion but now I guess I just did, so let the fun begin.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-28-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Best tires I have ever owned. I'm running 37's on beadlocks and never even balanced them. Just an awesome all around off road tire.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Best tires I have ever owned. I'm running 37's on beadlocks and never even balanced them. Just an awesome all around off road tire.
But the OP says 95% of driving is highway. So yes, the nitto are awesome all around off road tire, but is it right for 95% highway?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
But the OP says 95% of driving is highway. So yes, the nitto are awesome all around off road tire, but is it right for 95% highway?
Yes, absolutely. They are smooth and quiet at all speeds, great in the rain, and are wearing great. They are perfect for a daily driver, and long trips as well. This definitely fits the name hybrid tire. It really does excel at more than one thing.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Yes, absolutely. They are smooth and quiet at all speeds, great in the rain, and are wearing great. They are perfect for a daily driver, and long trips as well. This definitely fits the name hybrid tire. It really does excel at more than one thing.
Thanks. I have 43k on my duratracs. I love them. They are starting to get louder and have lost some wet traction. Maybe I'll give the nitto a try for my next set and see how they compare to the duratracs.

Quick Reply: M/T or A/T Tires