Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Why are the headlights on?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are the headlights on?

When I first got my 2010 JKU, I noticed the headlights came on every time I unlocked the doors using the key fob. And they stay on until the engine has started. I have since programmed the keyfob to unlock the driver's door only with one push on the fob. Pushing twice, unlocks the rest of the doors. The headlights come on every time.

I haven't seen or heard anything to disable the headlights. Has anyone else gone thru this and knows how to do it?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2011 did the same thing. The dealer had to set the "headlights-stay-on" tme to zero. Now they don't come on when I unlock.

If you have what Mopar calls EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information System) in your 2010 then you can set it yourself - otherwise only the dealer can do it. If you have EVIC the instructions are in the manual.

This is really stupid on Chrysler's part. Mom wants the headlights to come on when she unlocks her Charger in the mall parking lot. A Jeep gets used in the wilderness where the headlights coming on will blind everyone in the next campsite. The same corporate default for this setting gets applied on all models. In a Jeep this should be a user setting.

It was hard to even get the dealer to even understand what I wanted, and harder to get them to figure out how to do it.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

I found my way around it was, stick the key back the ignition turn them on and off again, and the lights would go off
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JKSBISLANDER
I found my way around it was, stick the key back the ignition turn them on and off again, and the lights would go off
On mine, no need for the key to be in the ignition for that to work.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default Headlights still on

[If you have what Mopar calls EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information System) in your 2010 then you can set it yourself - otherwise only the dealer can do it. If you have EVIC the instructions are in the manual.

Thanks Freewill,

My 2010 apparently doesn't have EVIC. Or, if it does, it is not shown in the manual.

Last edited by GreenJKr; 09-29-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 AM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreenJKr
[If you have what Mopar calls EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information System) in your 2010 then you can set it yourself - otherwise only the dealer can do it. If you have EVIC the instructions are in the manual.

Thanks Freewill,

My 2010 apparently doesn't have EVIC. Or, if it does, it is not shown in the manual.
On a 10 you can't. The dealer has to do it. You're not missing anything. My 10 Rubi has every option except smokers and it can't be done. I believe that changed for 11.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Freewill
... A Jeep gets used in the wilderness where the headlights coming on will blind everyone in the next campsite.
...that's funny....this just happened to me a couple weeks ago. I hit unlock while parked up on a hill aiming down at some other campsites and got a whole cheering section of "booo's".

Quick Reply: Why are the headlights on?