Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

MAN Those Doors Are Heavy!!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to go get one to try but i have heard of people using drywall carriers to get a better handle on the doors. I would probably line it with some kind of padding as to not scratch the paint but I could imagine it making it a little easier. Worth a try and its less than $10 at home depot or lowes.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stand on the outside of the doors, open them so they are straight out from the jeep, reach in the window and grab the handle on the inside of the door with one hand and place the other under the door on the hinge end and lift straight up. They come right off this was and are easy to carry into the garage. It's a little difficult to line the hinges back up putting them back on but over all I find they are more awkward than heavy.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevinlee
I stand on the outside of the doors, open them so they are straight out from the jeep, reach in the window and grab the handle on the inside of the door with one hand and place the other under the door on the hinge end and lift straight up. They come right off this was and are easy to carry into the garage. It's a little difficult to line the hinges back up putting them back on but over all I find they are more awkward than heavy.
Unfortunately the newer style interior doesn't have a bar type handle, but more of a pocket style so it cant really be lifted by that.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand on the inside of the door with window down. Facing towards the hinges. The hand near the door goes through the window opening and grabs the door handle. The further hand grabs the nylon strap. Lift and carry. It the lease awkward way I have found. Plus I replaced the hinge bushings with Delrin bushings so the door easily lifts off the hinges.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MavisJk
Unfortunately the newer style interior doesn't have a bar type handle, but more of a pocket style so it cant really be lifted by that.
Well that sucks
Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Hows the wife?
Finally home from the hospital and back to work today. Thanks for asking. They figured out what was going on and apparently Antibiotics and bed rest were the key.

She took the Wrangler to work today!! (Damn it!!)

Again, as stated in my earlier post, there IS no real grab location on the inside of the 2013 doors, like there was on my 2008.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Glad to hear she's doing better! No kidding, those things are heavy. I had to grab the upper inside of the window and the mirror and hope like hell I didn't drop it onto the concrete. But hey, that just gives me a good excuse to keep them off
Old 09-13-2016, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep801
Yeah the doors are heavy. I run Bestop 2 piece soft doors in the warm weather and put the hard doors back on in the fall.

Speaking of heavy, I keep the back seat out of my 2 door 99% of the time but on occasion put it in for passengers. I find this seat very heavy and awkward. I had a TJ prior and didn't find this to be the case.
Ditto on all of this!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

I use the outside door handle and the bottom of the door to lift the doors on my '12. I know theyre heavy and awkward, but I've done it quite a bit and it goes pretty easily now.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Billbikes
I use the outside door handle and the bottom of the door to lift the doors on my '12. I know theyre heavy and awkward, but I've done it quite a bit and it goes pretty easily now.
I do this also. I can do all 4 doors, the 3 window's, and put the top up in 6 minutes. Yes it was timed, and I'm 45 with 3 herniated disk in my lower back. It's a price we have to pay to live a Jeep life. When I can't remove the doors anymore I'll sell them. Lol

Quick Reply: MAN Those Doors Are Heavy!!