Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

manual transmission fluid

Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual transmission fluid

i have been looking through the forum and cant seem to find a equalvent to the mopar ms-9224 mt oil. has anyone used something else. i ask as i called the dealer ship and it's $36.00 a quart. i did a google search and royal purple makes SYNCHROMAX that is supposed to be a replacement. what has everyone else been using. thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aclokwerk
i have been looking through the forum and cant seem to find a equalvent to the mopar ms-9224 mt oil. has anyone used something else. i ask as i called the dealer ship and it's $36.00 a quart. i did a google search and royal purple makes SYNCHROMAX that is supposed to be a replacement. what has everyone else been using. thanks
I looked around for an equivalent also when I changed mine and couldn't find anything I was 100% comfortable with so I went with the expensive Mopar stuff. I did switch the transfer case out to Amsoil though.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

how often should you change?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amsoil synthetic and it improves the 6-speed shifting noticably
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wareagle1980
how often should you change?
every 30,000 miles or 50,000 km according to the manual
Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I changed the stock fluid out at 1000 to royal purple syncromax. Changed that to amsoil manual trans fluid. I didn't notice a difference in any of them. But have never had any shifting issues either.
Goody...how much Tranny fluid did you have to purchase to fill up? Another, Dumb question do I just ask for the Royal Purple Syncromax? Is the Syncromax specifically used for just Manual Tranny's? How hard to do yourself? Where do you drain and where do you fill it up?

**EDIT** Nevermind about how to do it found the write-up in JK-project write-ups.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 09-20-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by daubie
I looked around for an equivalent also when I changed mine and couldn't find anything I was 100% comfortable with so I went with the expensive Mopar stuff. I did switch the transfer case out to Amsoil though.
Ditto.

I have confidence in my JK, but it's still a mechanical thing - and mechanical things break.

I wanted to avoid a warranty fight over something as simple as what fluid I'm running in my German built NSG370.

Of course, with the mods I've done to my JK, Chrysler wouldn't touch my warranty with a ten foot pole, but nevertheless, none of the aftermarket lube alternatives I looked at said "meets or exceeds MS-9224 requirement" on the bottle (the Chrysler standard).

I didn't think it was worth risking.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I'm on my third change at 20k. Cheap insurance for me, I'm a bit hard on my junk.
30,000 miles is the severe service schedule. But hey, its your money and if it makes you feel better then thats what works for you.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daubie
30,000 miles is the severe service schedule. But hey, its your money and if it makes you feel better then thats what works for you.
thanks for the replies.... 30k severe service as in hard driven or severely behind schedule?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

The owners manual for my '09 (MY '08) states on P208:

"Frequency of Fluid Change: Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will give satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle. Fluid changes are not necessary unless the lubricant has become contaminated with water. If contaminated with water, the fluid should be changed immediately"

Maybe the manuals are different for RHD export models like mine? I changed mine as a matter of course along with the diffs & t/case when I dunked the Jeep in a deep waterhole.

Quick Reply: manual transmission fluid