Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Map sensor keeps going bad

Old 01-15-2019, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map sensor keeps going bad

I have a 2012 wrangler sport. My map sensor went bad at 71,000 miles.(no codes) I replaced it with one from the dealership, it lasted a week. I bought one from autozone and it was bad right out of the box. Exact same part numbers and everything as the one from dealership. I got another one from autozone and it has lasted 4 days. Is there something making the map sensor go bad or just a bad batch of sensors on the market??? Dealership wants $95 an hour for diagnostics.
I doubt this matters but all this started right after an oil change.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

What makes you think it goes bad?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sequel
What makes you think it goes bad?
Jeep runs sluggish, when accelerating it spots and sputters. No codes showed up but I replaced the map sensor after searching these forums. Jeep ran great for a week then started the same symptoms. Long story short 3rd map sensor is doing fine so far after a little over a week.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ohio2012wrangler
Jeep runs sluggish, when accelerating it spots and sputters. No codes showed up but I replaced the map sensor after searching these forums. Jeep ran great for a week then started the same symptoms. Long story short 3rd map sensor is doing fine so far after a little over a week.

No offense, but you are shotgunning parts without really looking at whether the MAP sensor is actually working. If it were me, I'd put the original mopar or one of the mopar MAP sensors on and you really need to diagnose a drivability problem. If you have a scan tool, looking at o2 sensors and short/long term fuel trims is where I would start. Lots of good youtube videos on how to do that.

Your symptoms could be any number of problematic parts...MAP just one of them.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

The first map sensor I put on was mopar and the part numbers and origin of manufacturing is exactly the same as one from autozone or advance or where ever. The jeep runs great after putting on a new map sensor. Also the map sensors i take off test bad with a voltmeter. No offense taken
Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio2012wrangler
Also the map sensors i take off test bad with a voltmeter.
Where did you find what the readings are supposed to be for a good MAP sensor? When I first read this thread, I looked in the 2008 and 2012 service manuals and could not find that information.
What did you get for readings?

Quick Reply: Map sensor keeps going bad