Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mirrors

Old 10-29-2006, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mirrors

i don't have my jeep yet and haven't seen one in real life but this is what i'm thinking:

instead of getting mirror relocators or the new added mirrors that connect to the windsheild brackets, have any of you though about just making a little thing that can go into the door hinge? you know, a mirror connected to a bolt that fits into the hinge when the doors are removed. this way you can be street legal. when i get my jeep i'm planning on doing this. i don't really care how big or small the mirror is because i probably won't be using it much anyways, it's just for the street legal thing.

what do you guys think?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL!! That's what I do now on my TJ...

There are a few joe-blow websites that are selling something similar to this but I just made mine out of a cheap mirror kit that I found at PepBoys
Old 10-29-2006, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

cool, i knew there had to be someone out there that thought about this. it's bound to be cheaper.

thanks for the picture, know i know what it looks like.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by btomike
i don't really care how big or small the mirror is because i probably won't be using it much anyways, it's just for the street legal thing.
I have trouble driving across a parking lot without a mirror on each door. (Seriously- I've tried.) But then, I could drive cross-country without a center rear-view mirror and never miss it, so I guess it's all what you're used to.

Anyway, here's an idea that's sorta floating around in my head for mirrors, though I haven't worked out the details yet. Rather than relocate the mirrors with new brackets, or mount them on the door hinges, add a second set of mirrors that would always be on the vehicle. Somewhere out on the front fender, maybe a 4" convex one, sort of like what you see on semis. When the doors are on, you'd have the regular mirror AND the convex one (no blind spot), and when the doors are off, you'd still have the convex one. I'd need to make a mock up to see if it would actually work the way I anticipate, and it would only work if you're comfortable driving with just a convex mirror (I am), but I saw a fender-mount convex mirror on a pickup a couple years ago, and when I started thinking about Jeep mirror options, that's what came to mind.

Quick Reply: mirrors