Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Misfire on 07 stock 3.8

Old 02-12-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ronjenx I see you posted this check list many times on this site. Do you have insight into this problem. I'm tr ing to avoid tare down of my engine for a stumble at idle with a ce light. I could see the test procedure would prove vital for a random missfire.

But mine is isolated to #2 with all basic parameters in spec. This is a out of the ordinary issue. And that's why I'm asking for help. Trying to avoid hours of diagnosis.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkborow
Ronjenx I see you posted this check list many times on this site. Do you have insight into this problem. I'm tr ing to avoid tare down of my engine for a stumble at idle with a ce light. I could see the test procedure would prove vital for a random missfire.

But mine is isolated to #2 with all basic parameters in spec. This is a out of the ordinary issue. And that's why I'm asking for help. Trying to avoid hours of diagnosis.
The list I posted appears in each of the individual cylinder misfire charts, as well as the chart for multiple cylinder misfire. Misfire is not necessarily a misfire. It's anything that causes the crankshaft to momentarily slow down. That's why the list is so long.

All I can say is, grind your way through the list, starting with the easy stuff. You've done some of it already.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue but with Cyl #1. My guy is certain it's the injector so Monday it's getting one. When you pull the plug, it's fouled. If you clean it up and put it back in the Check eng. light goes out but comes back within a few days. Hopefully this'll fix it.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

I currently have a misfire on #2 and it is my intake gasket leaking antifreeze into that cylinder. The coolant crossover channel runs right next to the #2 cylinder. Mine will misfire until it cleans up the cylinder and then runs fine. Usually takes about 20-30 seconds.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Spytec128
I currently have a misfire on #2 and it is my intake gasket leaking antifreeze into that cylinder. The coolant crossover channel runs right next to the #2 cylinder. Mine will misfire until it cleans up the cylinder and then runs fine. Usually takes about 20-30 seconds.
Did a cylinder leakage test reveal that? If not, how did you come to that conclusion?
Old 12-26-2016, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jkborow
First I just want to say hi to everybody I'm a new JK owner and I'm excited to start having fun with my new toy!!!!
But first I have a very serious problem! I bought my JK used and it developed a major engine problem 100 miles into driving it.
First it's a 2007 Sahara with 128,000 on the clock. Second a little about me. I'm a 20 master mechanic with many YJ builds under my belt.
Now the problem, it started with just a rough idle that turned into a misfire full blown miss at anything under 1000 rpm. On cyl #2 Now I started with the obvious diagnosis of a misfire plugs,wires,coil. They were all subpar so I replaced with quality parts. STILL MISFIRED!!
Then I did compression test on driver side where the miss was to compare. 150 on dead cyl and 170 on the others. Now in my eye that's not bad seeing as tho fuel might be washing dead cyl.
Then I thought maybe it might be a part clogged injector, that at idle might not be spraying enough fuel. So I replaced it. STILL MISFIRED!!
I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the pcv,cleared the code,checked for vacuum leaks (none found),did a leak down test no leaks over 10% were discovered, disconnected the battery for an hour for a fresh start. STILL MISFIRED!!!
I'm thinking it might be software related or maybe a cracked exhaust valve seat that when running might open?

Any help would be great..
Did you ever resolve this issue, and what did it finally end up being?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice to group the list of potential causes by items that cause multiple codes and the ones that would only cause 1 cylinder code. I have P0306 only- it's intermittent, happens when engine is under high load (like climbing a hill), Im am getting back fires. So which ones should I rule out immediately?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Winyah
It would be nice to group the list of potential causes by items that cause multiple codes and the ones that would only cause 1 cylinder code. I have P0306 only- it's intermittent, happens when engine is under high load (like climbing a hill), Im am getting back fires. So which ones should I rule out immediately?
I'm sure you can google for these things. It's common for most gas engines.

It's impossible to tell over the internet what is the cause of your misfires without diagnosing the problem. In order to diagnose the problem you first of all need a good understanding of how combustion happens in a gasoline engine. Any time the combustion is off, you are going to get a misfire. From there you gotta look at every single component/system that affects the combustion. To look at it you need a scan tool, which can be bought for $100 or less. You really want one that can graph PID's, but being able to see PID's like short/long fuel trims in real time is very helpful too. A scan tool will not show you everything, so for other things you need an oscilloscope, which is basically a "scan" tool for electrical signal, allowing you to look into any wire and see what is happening over time (on a graph).

Or you can simply do it the dumb way and start replacing every single component until you hit the problem. But the list can be very long, as even alternator and battery can cause misfires at times. And if it's a wiring problem, you will replace everything and still be at square 1. So that's not the recommended way of tackling misfires.

Just from your description of the misfire, I would start looking at fuel delivery and ignition as they seem to be struggling under load. So look at fuel pressure and injectors (specifically injector #6) under load. Look at your ignition coil, wires, and plugs. Look at your crank/cam shaft sensors.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Let's all remember that a misfire code doesn't necessarily mean an actual misfire has occurred.
This is made clear by all the people who have replaced ignition and injection parts only to have the "misfire" persist.

Anything that causes the crankshaft to slow when the computer expects to see it maintain or gain speed will throw a misfire code.
Also, if the computer throws a code for a particular cylinder, it will eventually shut down injection for that cylinder.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Winyah
Misfire under load is usually a Bad sparkplug or plug wire. I suggest changing all the spark plugs and don't try and go fancy. The 3.8 likes the factory Champion platinum plugs. Anything else will likely cause you more grief... If factor original plug wires are still on there, change them as well.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 11-19-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Misfire on 07 stock 3.8