JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Missing Transmission Bolts?? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/missing-transmission-bolts-349267/)

ryanwhit 02-05-2019 08:39 PM

Missing Transmission Bolts??

I have a 2008 JKU. Had the auto transmission replaced by the dealer under warranty a little over a year ago. I was just poking around under my Jeep tonight and noticed what clearly looks like two missing bolts to me. Can anyone confirm whether or not they're supposed to be there?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...f43efc4b7f.jpg

ronjenx 02-06-2019 06:32 AM

That is called a structural cover. It's not just a dust cover, as some people think.
The cover has seven bolts. There is a certain sequence to tightening the bolts.
Are the horizontal bolts next to the missing ones backing out? It appears so in the picture.

Here are the installation steps from the factory service manual:

CAUTION: The structural cover must be installed as described in the following steps. Failure to do so will cause severe damage to the cover or the oil pan.

1. Position the structural cover in the vehicle.
2. Install the bolts retaining the cover-to-oil pan. DO NOT tighten the bolts at this time.
3. Install the cover-to-transmission bolts. Do NOT tighten at this time.
CAUTION: The structural cover must be held tightly against both the engine and the transmission bell housing during tightening sequence. Failure to do so may cause damage to the cover.

4. Tighten the two cover-to-transmission bolts to less than 25 lb. in. The cover must be flush to the transmission bellhousing machined surface.
5. Starting with the cover-to-oil pan bolts, tighten bolts to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.).
6. Tighten the cover-to-transmission bolts to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.).

karls10jk 02-06-2019 02:00 PM

Those bolts are cheap enough to pick up at the dealer. I had one disappear and had to replace it.

ryanwhit 02-06-2019 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 4335673)
That is called a structural cover. It's not just a dust cover, as some people think.
The cover has seven bolts. There is a certain sequence to tightening the bolts.
Are the horizontal bolts next to the missing ones backing out? It appears so in the picture.

Here are the installation steps from the factory service manual:

CAUTION: The structural cover must be installed as described in the following steps. Failure to do so will cause severe damage to the cover or the oil pan.

1. Position the structural cover in the vehicle.
2. Install the bolts retaining the cover-to-oil pan. DO NOT tighten the bolts at this time.
3. Install the cover-to-transmission bolts. Do NOT tighten at this time.
CAUTION: The structural cover must be held tightly against both the engine and the transmission bell housing during tightening sequence. Failure to do so may cause damage to the cover.

4. Tighten the two cover-to-transmission bolts to less than 25 lb. in. The cover must be flush to the transmission bellhousing machined surface.
5. Starting with the cover-to-oil pan bolts, tighten bolts to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.).
6. Tighten the cover-to-transmission bolts to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.).

Thanks so much for the super helpful post! I'll have to check the horizontal bolts - I didn't notice when I was under there. I'll just re-torque everything per the service manual anyways.

ryanwhit 02-06-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4335704)
Those bolts are cheap enough to pick up at the dealer. I had one disappear and had to replace it.

Good to know - thanks!

SoK66 02-08-2019 06:29 AM

My bet is the tech forgot to tighten them down. Do as the procedure Ronjenx posted says and you will be in business.