JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Mobil 1 Oil Change Knock (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/mobil-1-oil-change-knock-319551/)

sarge2130 03-29-2015 06:03 PM

Mobil 1 Oil Change Knock

I just changed my oil on my 2011 JKUR with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-20 extended performance oil and the Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter, and I noticed after driving for a few miles that there is a light knock coming from the engine area when idling, and from what I have researched, I just need to change the filter to one with a better anti-drainback valve. Others were saying to use the Purolator PureOne or the K&N filter instead, but I just need some feedback on what my best option would be.

Also, it was hard to find others with the same issue of knocking with the Mobil 1 filter. Did I just get a bad filter or is it something to expect with the Mobil 1 filters?

ronjenx 03-29-2015 06:17 PM

The anti-drain back valve comes into play when the engine is started after being off for a while. With no or ineffective valve, the engine will tap or knock for a few seconds while the filter fills up.

Your knocking while idling is probably another issue. Try a heavier oil.

Sierra141 03-29-2015 07:13 PM

Just get the Jeep one from a dealer, they are cheaper than the ones mention and they work good.

Ryan0260 03-29-2015 07:18 PM

I would stick with a Mopar filter, and use a thicker oil if the motor is noisy more than a few seconds after startup, like ronjenx said.

jeepmojo 03-30-2015 04:46 AM

any thing i ever put mobil- one synth in

knocked . I wont buy it , others swear by it (not me ) knock knock knocking on heavens door .:boohoo:

sarge2130 03-30-2015 05:22 AM

The problem I was hearing is actually when the car warms up, and is idling. I had never heard it until after I changed the oil out, and when I drove it today, it was much quieter, and you could only hear it when out in front of the jeep, rather than hearing it inside and out.

sarge2130 03-30-2015 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by jeepmojo (Post 4078078)
knocked . I wont buy it , others swear by it (not me ) knock knock knocking on heavens door .:boohoo:

what do you think I should use synthetic-wise, as well as the filter? mine's been on synthetic for a while but it was the dealership free oil changes with synthetic.

I originally chose Mobil 1 because of everyone online swears by it.... :doh:

ronjenx 03-30-2015 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by jeepmojo (Post 4078078)
[h=2]any thing i ever put mobil- one synth in[/h]knocked . I wont buy it , others swear by it (not me ) knock knock knocking on heavens door .:boohoo:

At the other end of the spectrum, I've been using it for decades and never had an engine knock.

ronjenx 03-30-2015 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by sarge2130 (Post 4078101)
what do you think I should use synthetic-wise, as well as the filter? mine's been on synthetic for a while but it was the dealership free oil changes with synthetic.

I originally chose Mobil 1 because of everyone online swears by it.... :doh:

As suggested above, go to a heavier oil; 5W-30.

Tackle Box 03-30-2015 06:31 AM

Interesting...

I changed my suburban oil to Mobil 1 extended life and she knocked at idle as well. As others have said, probably use heavier oil and it will go away. I will be putting regular Mobil 1 into my JKUR for the first time this week - hoping it works quietly. Too expensive to drain out good Mobil 1 and recycle it!