Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by DV8 Offroad
Click Here

Mobil 1 Oil Change Knock

Old 03-30-2015, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need to be sure it's a "knock" vs valve train noise (tick). Knock is a cylinder issue. Valve train noise is normal and more noticeable with some synthetics. My 2012 ticks. I use Mobil 1. It stopped when I tried royal purple but then my engine ran a little warmer too. Switched back, tick returned.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default im a firm believer in dino oil

Originally Posted by sarge2130 View Post
what do you think I should use synthetic-wise, as well as the filter? mine's been on synthetic for a while but it was the dealership free oil changes with synthetic.

I originally chose Mobil 1 because of everyone online swears by it....
dino oil: Just change it every 3000 miles / and you can switch back from synthetic oil to regular oil.

of course theres others that are firm on their mobil 1 lol but seriously ask your self how many cars ever blew there motor when oil was changed every 3,000 ?????? prob none

I don't think paying 75 dollars to change oil every 5,000 saves a engine, but I know its a argument

but as I stated dino oil every 3000 miles and that engine will run for as long as you run it

if I were to run synthetic id go amsoil

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-30-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo View Post
dino oil: Just change it every 3000 miles / and you can switch back from synthetic oil to regular oil.

of course theres others that are firm on their mobil 1 lol but seriously ask your self how many cars ever blew there motor when oil was changed every 3,000 ?????? prob none

I don't think paying 75 dollars to change oil every 5,000 saves a engine, but I know its a argument

but as I stated dino oil every 3000 miles and that engine will run for as long as you run it

if I were to run synthetic id go amsoil
I've been running Mobil 1 in my vehicles for so long I thought I'd try some regular oil for a while.
My JK is on its 3rd cycle with regular 5W-30. I have seen no difference: still not knocking or ticking; starts fine even at -30F; sometimes needs half a quart between 5K - 6K oil changes, sometimes needs none.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

dino oil: Just change it every 3000 miles / and you can switch back from synthetic oil to regular oil. of course theres others that are firm on their mobil 1 lol but seriously ask your self how many cars ever blew there motor when oil was changed every 3,000 ?????? prob none I don't think paying 75 dollars to change oil every 5,000 saves a engine, but I know its a argument but as I stated dino oil every 3000 miles and that engine will run for as long as you run it if I were to run synthetic id go amsoil
$75 for an oil chx? That's amsoil prices! Lol!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Default yeh same here

mines a 12 when oil is drained theres about 5.5 qts that comes out . My guess its normal though prob half a quart is still hidden in side engine . Im not saying to avoid mobil 1 . just i have never felt it worked well in my vehicles any time ive used it , thats all . Maybe the tolerances on my vehicles are different but it seems very thin and noisey, when its drained its water like

yeh i was saying about 75 on amsoil oil change roughly
i just never bought into the synth oil thing & im not going to
no matter how good they claim it is( sounds of a piston rod banging or valve chatter dosent make me feel confident

if i were to run synth amsoil def. runs cooler less wear . overpriced though !

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-30-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

mines a 12 when oil is drained theres about 5.5 qts that comes out . Im not saying to avoid mobil 1 . just i have never felt it worked well in my vehicles any time ive used it , thats all . Maybe the tolerances on my vehicles are different but it seems very thin when drained water like

yeh i was saying about 75 on amsoil oil change roughly
i just never bought into the synth oil thing & im not going to
no matter how good they claim it is( sounds of a piston rod banging or valve chatter dosent make me feel confident
I noticed the water-like oil on my first few oil changes with 5W-20. It shot out enough to miss the dish pan I had under there.
I switched to 5W-30 shortly after that.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Default nothing worse than changing 5 /20

[QUOTE=ronjenx;4078174]I noticed the water-like oil on my first few oil changes with 5W-20. It shot out enough to miss the dish pan I had under there.
I switched to 5W-30 shortly after that.[/QUOTE

( that moment when you release the plug >
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scuba-diver-avalon-california-90704.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	604031  
Old 03-31-2015, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

So I called Mobil 1 and they instantly told me that the auto shop gave me the wrong oil for the wrangler. Instead of the synthetic they gave me, they said I should be using Mobil Super Synthetic 5w-20 and the M1-102 filter. I am gonna go get that take care of later and see if that solves the problem.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of y'all's help. I went back and he realized he has been selling the wrong stuff to all jeep owners. He said he is gonna have to be more thorough about checking if oil is the right stuff for people and he gave me valvoline and another filter for free. There is apparently a specification that the oil is supposed to pass and it is the same with the new engines too. I just don't remember the numbers mobil told me for the newer ones. The 3.8 engine has to have a Chrysler MS6395 specification.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

mines a 12 when oil is drained theres about 5.5 qts that comes out . My guess its normal though prob half a quart is still hidden in side engine . Im not saying to avoid mobil 1 . just i have never felt it worked well in my vehicles any time ive used it , thats all . Maybe the tolerances on my vehicles are different but it seems very thin and noisey, when its drained its water like yeh i was saying about 75 on amsoil oil change roughly i just never bought into the synth oil thing & im not going to no matter how good they claim it is( sounds of a piston rod banging or valve chatter dosent make me feel confident if i were to run synth amsoil def. runs cooler less wear . overpriced though !
Hurricanes Irene and Sandy made me a believer in synthetic oil. Granted, the application was in my generator, but wow, what a big improvement synthetic made. Storm 1 my generator ran for 3 days nonstop. After storm 2 it ran 11 days nonstop. It has a low oil sensor that shuts it down if the oil gets low. Running conventional it would shut off after 24-36 hours. Switched to synthetic and it never shut off because it wasn't burning through the oil. This was just auto zones brand of synthetic. I will now always use synthetic in my gas powers engines.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil Change Knock

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: