Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mud and Clutch - Bad Combo

Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daubie
This is exactly where it happened. Us guys with the 35's and lifts didn't have any problems. Of course we didn't get stuck and didn't push in the clutch. He has learned his lesson now.

Hmmm....

Can't see the rest of the area in the pic, but it looks to me he could've simply went around that mud hole and avoided all this trouble.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DTJK
Hmmm....

Can't see the rest of the area in the pic, but it looks to me he could've simply went around that mud hole and avoided all this trouble.

What would have been the fun in that?! haha. It would have been the smart choice though...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I would think once you bell housing fills with mud ... doesn't matter if you shift while stuck ... or after you get out ... it's gonna be muddy in there.

Here is me a couple of months ago ... no clutch issues yet ..... not quite as deep ...

Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTJK
Hmmm....

of course we could drive around. We could take a drive to the mall to but what fun would that be?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by daubie
This is exactly where it happened. Us guys with the 35's and lifts didn't have any problems. Of course we didn't get stuck and didn't push in the clutch. He has learned his lesson now.
Thanks for the pic I wasn't anywhere as deep as that haha that looks like fun though so I guess don't shift in deep mud like that. If the differentials aren't airtight does that mean mud gets in there all the time?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

mud shouldn't get in as long as you aren't pushing in the clutch pedal. If you feel like you need to try reverse to get out or whatever, its a much smarter idea to just shut off the engine, put it in another gear, then start it w/out using the clutch, which I believe only works in 4 low. It's very hard to remember not to use the clutch in a situation like that though. Its something I fell victim to myself last year. Was this guy able to drive it home like that or was it toast?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt852
Thanks for the pic I wasn't anywhere as deep as that haha that looks like fun though so I guess don't shift in deep mud like that. If the differentials aren't airtight does that mean mud gets in there all the time?
If the breather tubes are totally submerged then mud/water will get in, but if the top of the tube is out of the water the diffs will be safe. Lots of guys extend those things too. There are many great write ups on here about making them longer.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

ok so this might seam like a stupid question but so if i get stuck in a mud puddle with my wrangler and its a sick how do i get out of it with out pushing in or out the clutch???? =[ and i mean what are some signs that mud would be in ur housing like what would it be doing shifting bad? or what lol?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CAM24
If the breather tubes are totally submerged then mud/water will get in, but if the top of the tube is out of the water the diffs will be safe. Lots of guys extend those things too. There are many great write ups on here about making them longer.
What the the right up's called? so if I can't see my differentials I can't play in deep water right? What else has breather tubes I should be concerned about also if i want to go in a mud pool? besides a snorkel but I'll never go that deep for now.

So differentials, and don't push the clutch in
Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be what you are looking for:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hose-extension

Hope it helps

Quick Reply: Mud and Clutch - Bad Combo