Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My Jeep won't start sometimes.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Jeep won't start sometimes.

I hit a tough trail yesterday and my Jeep killed when I was going up a large obstetrical. I did not use enough gas pedal and I have a stick. I had to wait almost 20 minutes before the Jeep would start again. It happened three times on the trail. Jeep lit up the dash but would not even click the starter. Anyhow, I was talking to my neighbor and he had the same issue. He replaced his starter before he learned that there is a part in the steering column that causes this issue and needs to be replaced.

So: My question is, what part is it? He was not sure as he did not replace it himself. He said it was a two dollar part. Does anyone know what part I am referring to? He also told me that when the sun heats up the steering column, it would prevent the Jeep from starting.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-23-2018, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Nobody knows what I am talking about? Because I sure don't.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Perhaps they are talking about the WCM? Wireless Control Module? That's located in the steering column I believe.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

I am not sure. He said something about two wires now. He said he googled it and the problem was very common with JKs from 2008 to 2011. I have not found anything. I will have to take it apart and look. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
Perhaps they are talking about the WCM? Wireless Control Module? That's located in the steering column I believe.
Since you pointed me in this direction, I was able to find more pages on the issue. Not sure if that is the problem. I wish I had a Star machine to diagnose this myself. I will ask the dealer with my next oil change. I do not have keyless entry or remote start. Can I delete the WCM and use an unchipped key?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted the other day about my 2013 jku doing the same thing. The dealer said there’s a service bulletin about the problem and it requires a flash of the system. The flash worked for a couple of weeks and then the problem resumed. I disconnected the battery for an hour this past weekend and it has been working better, but not perfect, since then. Because of this, I believe the underlying issue appears to be software rather than hardware and may have to do with the ECM periodically not recognizing the key. I noticed other Jeep posts about ignition actuators wearing out, but every one of those seems to be on older models and having a lot more miles on them. Please let us know the outcome with yours because I have a feeling mine will start acting up again and we don’t know what’s really causing the problem.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Jeep will have to go to the shop. I cannot get it working with what little I know. So now I need to pay.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

So that I am not running so many posts on the same issue any more. It combines with this post. If your interested in following along, please post on the following link.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...2/#post4327133

Quick Reply: My Jeep won't start sometimes.