Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My JK is gutless

Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI: there is a used 3.6 Pentastar Ripp (centrifugal) SuperCharger listed on JKOwners.com for $2,500. I believe that it is located in Oklahoma and it needs a couple parts (tuner, maybe the intercooler?)

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/sale-j...pentastar.html

I purchased my Magnuson SuperCharger from a guy on JeepLab who did a 6.4 Hemi conversion and I have had great results using DiabloToona (Johan Mangs) for custom tuning.

If you do not want a Ripp, I would recommend stalking the classifieds and maybe reaching out to MoTech, Jeep Speed Shop, RPM Extreme or any other engine conversion place as forced induction guys often upgrade to V8s.

DaCaptain20 on this site also has a spreadsheet on a DIY 5.7 Hemi swap; he was around $7,000 net (after selling his engine, trans, etc).

Last edited by doc5339; 09-04-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
I discovered on a trip to the mountains that my '15 JK is way underpowered. When I was ascending a high mountain pass this thing would bog down so bad that little old ladies and Yugo's were passing me. My old TJ with the 4.0 inline 6 could handle these passes easily and it had noticeably more torque. My JK does get considerably better mpg, but that's the only thing that's better. My warranty is up in a year, what kind of mods have you done and are you now satisfied with it?
I had the same issue with my 2011 4-Dr Rubicon. After messing with it for a couple of years, I had it re-geared from the 4:10's to 4:88's. What a difference! Do it. You'll lose about 1-2 mpg but now you can get out of your own way. None of the other things work...cold air kit...programmer...exhaust...etc. Re gear.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 3.6 is a pretty powerful engine but unlike diesels and inline 6 engines, the power band it much higher up. The other thing to remember is that Pentastar makes more power throughout its rev range than the venerable 4.0L, the difference is it is usually moving a vehicle that weighs more than 50% or more than the XJ, YJ, ZJ or TJ ever did. Not to mention most JKs on this site have at least 33s.

V6 engines in general like RPMS. If you leave your engine below 4000rpm for its whole life you can actually damage it by building up carbon and gunk in the valve train. The user manual even recommends spirited driving at least once a week to get some fresh oil forced through the block.

Gear ratios are a huge part of the equation too. A stock Rubicon with 4:10 gears is a rocket ship and will smoke off the stock 32" tires if you want it to. Throwing on 35s means you're down in 3rd gear to make it up an 8% grade and slogging off the line.

Quick Reply: My JK is gutless