Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Plug wire from stealer-ship

Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wire from stealer-ship

WTF, so I broke a plug wire on my 07 while changing the spark plugs. So off to the local parts stores Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boy and O'Rileys. None of them had a set of plug wires. I was told it would take 3-5 days to order because they are a factory part. Trusting very few people I checked online and to my amazement Amazon and Quadratec had them but nothing local. This meant my daily driver would be down for 3-5 days for simple plug wires. I finally broke down and check a local dealership. $69 dollars, $20 dollars more than online including shipping. So I had no choice but to buy them to get my JK back up and running. And they wonder why people refer to them as stealer-ships. It just does not make sense, why in the world would you not be able to find common parts for a five year old vehicle at the local parts store? I assume it is because the plug wires have the plastic wire loom around them. Customized, NOT, only difference between them and standard plug wires. Just a bunch of BS.

Sorry, extremely pissed and had to vent.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:28 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Send your letter to the parts stories, might open there eyes to a market they are missing.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

One more way the Stealer-ship is sticking it to you after American bailed them out!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow... Over 20 bucks? You broke it, not the "stealership".. Sounds like you should be mad at yourself..
Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the point being made was that the part was broken no big deal. Big deal was when he drove around looking for a 2007 part in the year 2011 and no one having it and the only place having it was the dealership for $20 over what other people were charging. Mad about the markup and availbility. For Christ sakes hes a fellow Jeeper that got hosed, let him vent. But that's just how I read it.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahhhhh the dealership , they make about 50 percent of their revenue from parts and service . just like the throttle position sensor on my sons 89 civic, its attached with headless bolts the dealer says you have to buy the whole throttle boddy assy jus for the tps , ebay had them all day long for 19 bux .... go figure . looks like they would realize they lose alot of business to the aftermarket . also the more commonly broken , used parts oftenhave a higher price then the less used ones , some not all . crazy pricing though i agree
Old 07-04-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lilahs Jeep
I think the point being made was that the part was broken no big deal. Big deal was when he drove around looking for a 2007 part in the year 2011 and no one having it and the only place having it was the dealership for $20 over what other people were charging. Mad about the markup and availbility. For Christ sakes hes a fellow Jeeper that got hosed, let him vent. But that's just how I read it.
You read it correct....thanks for having my back.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

How much did you spend in gas riding around looking for your part? If its anything like my jeep probably at least 10 bucks. Not trying to be negative about this but I hate the phrase stealership... They had what you needed.. How bout giving them some credit.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilahs Jeep
One more way the Stealer-ship is sticking it to you after American bailed them out!
I would be interested in knowing what brand or specific dealership hasn't been doing this since before Ronald Reagan was president. Please, do tell.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Why wouldn't a generic plug wire have worked until the OEM part came in?

Why not call around instead of driving to each parts store?

Quick Reply: Plug wire from stealer-ship