Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mystery Sound

Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Sound

So, Just picked up my 2012 JKUR a few days ago. Must say I'm pretty satisfied so far. Engine is stout, interior is down night nice, and I now am haunted by the thoughts "can I drive thru/over that thing over there" almost everywhere I go.

One complaint/annoyance I'm having is this mystery sound coming from the drivers side rear of my JK. It sounds like a creaking/poping/rattle. It doesn't seem to be in the cabin, nor is it associated with a certain RPM. Rather it seems like something is flapping around the rear drivers fender when I'm at about 65-70 mph when the wind is turbulent.

I looked around the fender today after I got home, and a small piece of padding or something was hanging out of the read fender (the padding was about 2 inch's thick, and was cut to fit in the hole it was hanging out of. I'll post a pic of where it was later today.

Just to recap;
At low speeds <60, no sign of the sound.
It doesn't always occur at the same speed, nor does it stay constant for a long time, just comes and goes.
Doesn't appear to be inside the cab.
I assume it's something loose in the plastic around the fender.
Any ideas of what I should be looking for.

PS I'm 0/15 on Jeep waves.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people have had issues with loose fenders 07 and up... Give it a wiggle and see if that is the problem. Also, check to make sure the stock jack is not rattling around in the back (assuming it's in same location)...

Quick Reply: Mystery Sound