Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nail in tire...firestone store not able to patch? Should I slime? or no?

Old 11-30-2017, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdx-rubicon
Nail hole was dead center middle of the tire tread!
I'm going to try another shop first. then look into plug. I bought a bottle of slime to keep in the jeep "IN CASE" i were to need a spare tire.. i could slime it and air it up..
They showed me the nail... it wasnt that long... so i dont quite understand how they couldnt patch it.. good thing was they only charged me for rotation..not for "trying" to patch the tire..

Thanks all..

B
With all the hassle you're going through, you could have already plugged it yourself.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a $40 plug kit and fix it in 10 minutes!!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Plug it..with a quality plug. Buy the red ones, NOT black. Safety Seal is well known and highly recommended.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATE... went to LOCAL tire shop.. not corporate tire...

Finally I took the tire to a locally owned tire shop and asked them to see if they could patch it. They had absolutely no trouble patching it... and was Cheaper than Corporate tire place anyway!

Makes me scoff at the tech's comment at Firestone that they couldn't get a patch to stay on/sealed... Locally owned small businesses for the win.... Tire lives to ride another day!....at least until it gets replaced with some 35's
Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by pdx-rubicon

Makes me scoff at the tech's comment at Firestone that they couldn't get a patch to stay on/sealed...
Can't blame the tech, though. He has company guidelines to follow if he wants to keep putting food on his family's table.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
Really? Firestone couldn't do it? A bunch of n00bs. When I went to Iceland, I sliced my sidewall (some flimsy street tires), and some local small shop plugged that one right up and it held air no problem. I also plugged my own tire once in the tread, and it's being holding forever now with 0 air leaks. Same with other tires on other cars. Plugs are awesome and are a permanent fix from my experience.
As an employee of one of these types of Tire Stores. They wouldn't fix it because there are certain guidlines they must follow as others have said. Insurance is the primary reason we will not repair certain types of punctures. If something were to happen lawyers would have a field day. Why take the risk for 20 dollars?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill.rossi85
As an employee of one of these types of Tire Stores. They wouldn't fix it because there are certain guidlines they must follow as others have said. Insurance is the primary reason we will not repair certain types of punctures. If something were to happen lawyers would have a field day. Why take the risk for 20 dollars?
I guess i understand from a business perspective.. and dont from a consumer perspective.. The Liability environment continues to ruin things for so many non-litigious folk. It's an issue in so many environments. I appreciate the Canadians and Europeans for their traditional non-litigious style..

I tried to plug it before I took it the second time and couldnt get the plugger into the small hole.. i should have gotten the rasp thing to open the hole up.. but glad I got it fixed.. Here in Salt lake there are 2 major law firms that advertise all day long for their "services" makes me cringe to see their HUGE palatial offices...

off soap box... with a repaired tire :-)

Quick Reply: Nail in tire...firestone store not able to patch? Should I slime? or no?