Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Help! Busted something in steering column. Lock?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help! Busted something in steering column. Lock?

Was out doing a little jeepin' with my boy this afternoon. Pulled front passenger wheel up on a boulder to flex out the suspension. I shut the jeep off, put it in gear and pulled up the e-brake so I could go out and check things out. When I got back in, the steering wheel had locked with tension on it, I couldn't turn my ignition! I jiggled on twisted on the wheel to try and unlock the ignition but wasn't having any luck. I tried to really give it some muscle and "SNAP!"...something gave. Well, I was able to start my jeep and back off the boulder but something is bound up in my column. I can't steer my jeep without using two hands and a lot of force. WTF? The steering lock doesn't work anymore but I could care less about that. I just want my jeep to drive again!

any ideas???
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your steering fluid level, could have popped a line off somewhere in the system. If you're still able to double hand crank the s*** out of it and turn sounds like a loss of pressure/fluid rather than a mechanical lock up.

Next time you're off roading and want to check out some flex follow your same procedure but leave the Jeep running.

Last edited by runit3; 09-06-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sea bass
Was out doing a little jeepin' with my boy this afternoon. Pulled front passenger wheel up on a boulder to flex out the suspension. I shut the jeep off, put it in gear and pulled up the e-brake so I could go out and check things out. When I got back in, the steering wheel had locked with tension on it, I couldn't turn my ignition! I jiggled on twisted on the wheel to try and unlock the ignition but wasn't having any luck. I tried to really give it some muscle and "SNAP!"...something gave. Well, I was able to start my jeep and back off the boulder but something is bound up in my column. I can't steer my jeep without using two hands and a lot of force. WTF? The steering lock doesn't work anymore but I could care less about that. I just want my jeep to drive again!

any ideas???
Sounds to me like you broke the lock pin inside the collum. The broken piece may be binding inside against the steering wheel.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runit3

Next time you're off roading and want to check out some flex follow your same procedure but leave the Jeep running.
Yeah, you must have an auto...I don't trust my e-brake enough. I was up on a huge a boulder and couldn't risk it rolling forward...would probably still be there.

Originally Posted by ASTE25
Sounds to me like you broke the lock pin inside the collum. The broken piece may be binding inside against the steering wheel.
Exactly!!! That was I was thinking too...especially because of the snapping sound. I took it all apart and sure enough, it was jammed way up in there between the steering shaft and column. It took me about 2 solid hours to fish the broken piece out. What a PITA!!! Now I just need to figure out a good way to secure the cover back on the aluminum housing where the lock mechanism is. I had to drill off a few rivets to remove it.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Hate to revive such a old thread, but the same thing has happened to my 07 jk. While at work my 17 year old son decided to take my jeep and take some snapchats with it. Parked it on a hill to flex it out. Steering wheel locked and he broke the lock mechanism, but my jeep wouldn't turn on as the OP did. So basically he broke the lock, the steering wheel will now turn, but the key won't turn to the start run position.

Went by the dealership and they said I would need a new steering column at the price of 1300 bucks. I found a used one on eBay for 130 shipped, so I purchased it. So now I'm trying to take the old steering column out of my jeep. I've got the wheel removed and all the wiring harnesses disconnected but one. I think it might be something that goes to the transmission. It has a yellow piece sticking out opposite the harness. I can't get it to release for the life of me. Anyone have any experience in this?

I also need to remove the key cylinder and electrical box thingy to install on the used column so i won't lock the computer up.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Question did you get that plug off?

I know its an old thread, but I have the same problem. The plug has a black plastic lever on top that you can squeeze which should allow you to remove the plug. It doesn't, and the yellow piece that sticks through the aluminum box won't compress. Any ideas how to remove this plug?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default turn the key

OK, so if you realize that the plug fits into the key mechanism you realize that maybe you have to put the key in the lock and turn it to free the plug. Intuitive, but I see it as another hurdle to clear.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Busted something in steering column. Lock?