Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need Help CHK 3.6 Misfiring on 1 and 3 Dealer Not bein helpful in Diagnosing =(

Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help CHK 3.6 Misfiring on 1 and 3 Dealer Not bein helpful in Diagnosing =(

I have a 2012 RHD JKU. I Traded my daily driver 2006 F150 for it at a private dealer and so far I have loved it. It isnt as luxurious as my ford but There are compromises to be made for the versatility of the wrangler =)

So about a week following my purchase I had my Chk eng light come on. I had the code checked at the parts store and it read o2 bank2 sensor 1. Which side is bank 2? I changed out the senor I thought this was and the light came back on so I took it to a local dealer in Macomb, Il.

The tech got back with me and said that the engine is missing on 1 and 3..... He told me he checked the coils and the plugs, tested the cylinders and even swapped the injectors and nothing seemed to work. I did some research and found out about the head issue for these engines but the tech said that it looks like my head has already been warrantied and replaced and that the problem head is the 246 side and the current issue is on 135 side.

I want to take the jeep to a larger dealer because this local place carries more than just chysler products and they literally only had one Chysler mechanic. I voiced my concern that I am 900 miles away from home in Alabama at the moment and I need to know my jeep can make it back without the engine blowing up. He assured me that the issue is only at idle and that it should be fine and not damage the engine if I drive it back. But then he said, it would be better if the engine blows and can be replaced under warranty instead of trying to chase down this gremlin. This is really not an acceptable thing to say, and honestly infuriates me that he'd be so unprofessional. I told him to find the problem and the next day the service girl calls me and says that he couldnt find the cause of the misfire and that he made some calls to chrysler and that there are some known issues with the engine wiring and the next step was to replace the entire loom. Oh and this wouldnt be covered under the existing power train warranty. They gave me a price or 1300 which I am not sure if they meant for the loom itself or parts and labor. EIther way I said I will not be paying for that and collected my vehicle.

I am gonna risk driving back home this sunday because I have no choice. The engine light was on during my trip up so I am gambling that he was at least correct that I am not damaging the engine permanently and once I return I will take it to a larger chrysler dealer with more than one mechanic to see if they cant come up with an actual diagnosis instead of guessing it is a 1300 dollar wiring loom without any proof.

Does this issue at all sound familiar to anyone out there? I can't be a unique case, surely?

It is a 2012 JKU Sport RHD, has 3.21 gears and the 5 speed auto. The only changes I made are sahara factory rims with factory sized 32 and I pulled out the factory radio for an aftermarket one. I have not yet received my Procal to correct for the tire size nor have I got around to installing the module that integrates the radio into the steering wheel and the body control. I am wondering if these are somehow throwing off the computer calculations.... THat seems like a stretch tho.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150522_124038.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	611901  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any one?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow I had a misfire on 1 & 3 on my o9 jku changed out all the plugs haven't had it sense that was 2 years ago.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tazzdogsocal
wow I had a misfire on 1 & 3 on my o9 jku changed out all the plugs haven't had it sense that was 2 years ago.
Very interesting. Maybe it is as simple as that. Now that I'm back in Alabama I may have to try that before going to a local dealer.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I finally got into see a local dealer. They said the problem is the cylinder head needs replaced. It's the same problem they generally have with the left head which is a known problem. Apparently it is a problem with both heads.

They are replacing the head under warranty and I'll be sans transportation until next week.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

But did they tell you why the head needed to be replaced ?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jnorman831
But did they tell you why the head needed to be replaced ?
No he didn't get into it he just said that the head had failed and it was the same issue they see with the left heads which is a known issue. He said they had seen a few of the right side heads fail for the same reasons.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a Known issue with the 2012 jk I had my left head replaced My light came on as I was driving home from the dealer. did not go on during the test drive. but it was a warranty issue free car for the 2 days and back in my baby once done. been almost a year no other issues since. happens from 10k through 30k miles
Old 06-10-2015, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Just in joy
This is a Known issue with the 2012 jk I had my left head replaced My light came on as I was driving home from the dealer. did not go on during the test drive. but it was a warranty issue free car for the 2 days and back in my baby once done. been almost a year no other issues since. happens from 10k through 30k miles
What is interesting is is the left head that had the known issue. The right head in mine was exhibiting the same symptoms which included multiple misfires and rough idle.

It idled like crap but it didn't seem to affect my.over all fuel economy I was getting about 18 to 20 around town.

It certainly sucks I'm gonna go without my daily vehicle for a week and they told me no on a loaner.

Quick Reply: Need Help CHK 3.6 Misfiring on 1 and 3 Dealer Not bein helpful in Diagnosing =(