Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need help in removing soft top for the season

Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jim hensley
Thanks guys. As usual I learned the hard way. Started without seeing the reminder to take the door surrounds off and couldn't figure out why the top wouldn't fit at first. Scratched some of my paint as well but not too bad. Finally figured it out. Will be much better next Spring!

Hopefully this will help some other hardtop newbies since its about that time of year.
Bummer about the scratches. Especially if they were the first ones...

Watch out for the two pins that protrude form the top into the tub at the front of the hard top. I cracked the corner of my top in that area.

If it was the top that scratched (and it is a black top) sharpie markers are good camouflage.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet

I got the bestop bow knuckles. I think from Q-tec but I can't remember.

They are overpriced at $30 but I busted a knuckle and the alternatives weren't good.

easy to install. super easy to use.
Sold! Getting ready to put the soft top away for the winter :(
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

You're not the only one to scratch your brand new Jeep! I put a ding next to the driverside tail light (well not me but the other guy who was helping...ugh...) and while the gf was helping take the hardtop out of the basement she let it drag on the ground so it chewed up a corner all the way to the white plastic underneath. Now my completely blacked out jeep has a hint of white (fortunatly a Sharpie did help with that) and I figured dings would come eventually but was hoping I would be the first one to cause it on my $38k Jeep. Oh well, that's life, we live and learn by our mistakes! Good luck!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road

Quick Reply: Need help in removing soft top for the season