JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Need picture of factory trailer tow package... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/need-picture-factory-trailer-tow-package-215710/)

dan3jeeps 01-26-2012 07:01 PM

Need picture of factory trailer tow package...

Hi all,

I have been looking online for a 2007 JK Unlimited 6 speed 4WD (why does Jeep even make 2WD's?). I want the trailer tow package to ensure the jeep has the 4.10 gearing. I have seen pics of what I think are factory TT Pkgs and others of what I figure are aftermarket TT hitches and connections.

Would someone please post a pic (close ups preferably) or three of what the factory trailer tow package looks like (with the factory electrical connection) so I have a solid indication of what the jeep came from the factory with?

In most of the online ads I see where the seller says "trailer tow hitch" they do not seem to have a clue about whether or not it is factory or not just as most sellers seem to not have a clue about gear ratio (this website excluded, of course :wink:).

Gotta have the 4.10's!

Thanks!

ronjenx 01-26-2012 07:06 PM

The only way you are going to know for sure is jack a tire, spin it 2 turns, and count the drive shaft turns.

dan3jeeps 01-26-2012 07:17 PM

Aside from getting a build sheet on a vehicle, I am just looking for an idea of what to look for before I ever even contact the seller. I imagine that a factory tow hitch and 4 pin plug is easy enough to ID as long as I know exactly what I need to look for.

ronjenx 01-26-2012 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps (Post 2815109)
Aside from getting a build sheet on a vehicle, I am just looking for an idea of what to look for before I ever even contact the seller. I imagine that a factory tow hitch and 4 pin plug is easy enough to ID as long as I know exactly what I need to look for.

I lot of the aftermarket tow packages look just like the OEM package.

SilverBolt 01-27-2012 07:49 AM

Open the drivers and look at the information decal. Some manufacturer's list the axle ratio on that sticker.

rdubb1031 01-27-2012 07:59 AM

I hate to say it, but just a picture won't help.. I bought a used "tow packet" hitch/wire harness and installed on my '07 JK.. luckily I already had the 4.10s which I confirmed with a build sheet..

Krynn 01-27-2012 08:03 AM

The information decals on the JK don't mention axle ratios. At least not on my '08.

There are only 4 ways that I know of to find out the final drive ratio:
1) Ask the seller. You might get lucky.
2) Check the original window sticker, if it's available.
3) Email the VIN to Chrysler and request a copy of the build sheet. They generally won't give you a copy if you're not the registered owner, but if you ask nicely and let them know that it's a vehicle for sale that you're looking to purchase, they sometimes send it out. At least that's what it took to get the one for mine before I bought it.
4) Jack a wheel up, spin said wheel, count the driveshaft revs, and apply a little math. (for 2 spins, not quite 6.5 revs = 3.21, not quite 7.5 revs = 3.73, just over 8 revs = 4.10)

Of those, #4 is the only one that will give you guaranteed results. The other three may be easier, but may not be as accurate.

09GRNJK 01-27-2012 08:32 AM

Is that the only reason you are looking to buy a 2007?

It seems much easier to broaden your search to 2007 - 2010 and then regear.

You are already going to be spending $16000 on a Jeep, what's another 1k

DanieltheManual 01-27-2012 08:39 AM

Check the pumpkins, some 07s have d35 rear axles.... Tow pak could be 373s too...Jeep jk are a bit haywire in 07

dan3jeeps 01-27-2012 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK (Post 2815867)
Is that the only reason you are looking to buy a 2007?

It seems much easier to broaden your search to 2007 - 2010 and then regear.

You are already going to be spending $16000 on a Jeep, what's another 1k

Lots of reasons why I want the 2007 model. Of course the 2012 is my 1st choice, but money (or lack of) rules the roost. The jeep is a second vehicle, I have a boy in college, taxes & tags in my state are high... the list goes on. So a 2007 it is.

I am aware the D35 was put in some 2007 models and I am staying far away from that one.

As for regearing, I would rather get the 4.10s and spend the money on a lift, tires and winch instead of the gearing I want that jeep offered stock. This will not be a huge build up machine but something well equipped to tackle the vast majoirty of Colorado's trails. No 37's or Detroits for this jeep, sadly. LOL

If I do anything to the axle at all it will be to eventually have a good LS carrier installed.

Thanks for all your input, fellas. Great research tool this website is!

Dan