Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need wheel speed sensor help! Frustrating!

Old 10-03-2018, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Here is the side by side shot of the two.....although a bit different design, the same length.

I removed those crappy dust shields from my front axle years ago. I thought I MIGHT be able to get my factory speed sensor out to compare, but it's just too tricky to get proper size allen wrench in there due to brake rotor clearance. I will say that the speed sensor wiring are the same length on the Crown unit and jsukey's unit. I also think that the grease on jsukey's speed sensor looks more what I recall new factory looking like, and it also looks much more "blocky" like the factory sensor. Maybe others can chime in if they agree that jsukey's looks factory or not.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for going to the effort to get the pics, it definitely is a help. It appears they are both of the same basic shape and length and are consistent with every speed sensor I ran across in my search for a replacement for mine. I'm feeling confident that purchasing the Crown assembly will enable me to head to the local parts store for a replacement sensor should the need ever arise to do so. Obviously those are both drastically different from the shape and length of the sensor in my current hubs.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Another view of mine.

A closer view of my faulty sensor. It is both more rounded and shorter than the available replacement sensors.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

My .02c from an old wrenchhead of yesteryear who has chased his ass for years. Hydrolock is not confined to the engine. A replaced engine does not magically fix the issues. Engine took in water, now look at all the electrical connectors at or below that level including under the dash which includes the plug from the column to the harness. I would stop chasing my tail and start pulling electrical plugs checking for corrosion and pin by pin clean/dry each plug. You will never know whether that is/was the issue but moisture inside a plug can remain as moisture if humidity is high where you live or turn into rust creating intermittent bad connections depending what day it is and if you bought beer that day So if you find you are chasing your butt, stop, get some spray air cans used on computers or if you have a compressor with DRY air, blow dry all the plugs and check for dirt jammed in the pin sockets because if the hydrolock was a mudbog then you have dirt issues that can and will break electrical connections inside what appears to be "an okay plug". This is what wives/girlfriends/boyfriends are for they sit in the drivers seat and scream when a light flickers, goes out or on Move the harnesses back and forth under the dash, and in the engine compartment checking each time to see if light goes out or worse yet, another comes on. Once you are happy harness is fine and plugs not the issue the restart chasing your butt, which, again, I am an authority on

my 02c only
PS I also own a 2009 unlimited X which is causing no end of butt chasing trying to get the air out of my brakes. I have elliminated malformed caliper castings, ballooning flex lines, bad MC , bad HCU/ABS. I have replaced, rotors,pads,calipers,flexlines,ABS/HCU MC/BOOSTER used my own Autel scan tool to vacate the air from the abs and still have the worlds squishiest pedal. Done power compressed fluid replacement and no luck clearing the air yet. All parts OEM
silver soldered some spare brake line plugs closed and will start all over again trying to isolate mechanical/electrical/hydraulic sections of the brake system. Pedal hard as a rock till you start the car, then falls to about an inch of the floor when braking. I am old so on its way to the floor I almost stroke out thinking I have no brakes but.....that last remaining 2 inches I can lock up all 4 tires and abs kicks in.....so brakes are good...pedal position is not. I will post this issue if I can't find solution so don't let this hijack your thread. Last resort I break connection between ABS HCU plug them off and throw in a proportioning and metering valve from the last Cherokee that had 4 wheel discs and no ABS

Last edited by TurbineWine; 10-07-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

At least the grease still looks good in my spare hub assembly! Good to know, as it’s been sitting in a box for 4 1/2 years!

I definitely agree with TurbineWine about checking electrical connections. Water and mud can hide inside of connectors and switches, and cause some crazy gremlins! I submerged my ‘93 Grand Cherokee 4x4 around 18 years ago. A couple of months later while driving down the freeway at 70mph, my electric seat just decided to move all the way forward on its own. I’m 6’ 1”...it was a harrowing experience! It did it several more times before I found the culprit to be the switch itself. A moisture/mud mixture had dried behind the switch, and would let the seat motor do pretty much whatever it wanted. Definitely pull your connections and check them thoroughly!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Just to update, I did give up the chase on the appropriate wheel speed sensor and ordered the Crown hub assembly online for $93 delivered. Got it installed today and the problem is resolved. Fired it up and the lights were still on after battery disconnect, and I feared the issue might remain. However, I backed up and as soon as I returned to drive, the lights are gone. Drove around with no issues and working cruise control, so I'm feeling better! I am aware that other gremlins may be lurking and water can lead to all sorts of issues, but I was confident that the sensor was my culprit this time and it seems that was indeed the case. Now that brake issue you are having is a head scratcher.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you got it figured out!
Old 11-03-2020, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default Help!!!!

Originally Posted by SMPC
I have a new to me 2009 X Unlimited and am new to the forum. I apologize if this has been covered, but I am attempted to search extensively and have yet to find the information I'm seeking, though it's hard to imagine I'm the only one facing this particular problem. Just for background, this Jeep has a salvage title following a hydrolock motor, so while I got it at what I felt was a bargain price, I do not have access to the previous owner for help with these questions. So the issue is as follows: I bought the Jeep with new motor installed, all seems good to go and in good working order with the exception of ABS/EPS/BAS lights and traction control on, cruise control not working. I scan it and it indicates right front wheel speed sensor. I figure no big deal, $20 fix and I'm good to go there. In the meantime, I have some intermittent cruise control function, and the lights even go off completely once for a couple of miles. I go and purchase a wheel sensor at O'Reilly, ABS2011, and head in to fix it....here the problems ensue. I take the sensor out, and immediately I see an issue. The existing sensor is round, with a small notch. The replacement sensor is longer and squared. Sure enough, it won't fit, would break it to attempt to bolt the new sensor in. Clean and reinstall the old sensor, hoping for a miracle fix as I return the new sensor. Lights still on, I head to the parts store hoping to get the correct sensor. Nope, all the computer can find is one sensor from 07-17. Says go to the dealer. I go to the dealer, same thing, wrong sensor. I search online, all the wrong sensor. Lights go off. Cruise control works. Fixed!! Nope, lights back on, only now its at best aggravating and at most dangerous as I have one moment of ABS braking in and out and two instances of power loss as traction control tries to engage. Lights off a bit, mostly on, still need a sensor. I remove the old sensor and take with me to O'Reilly, Advance, Auto Zone, CARQUEST, Dealership....Everyone looks at me like I have 3 eyes and the sensor in my hand does not exist....but it must exist, it is in my hand. Nope, no one can find anything like it. I check the other side...same sensor. I check for a part number on the sensor, no luck. I check for part number on hub assembly, but haven't found anything. My thinking at this point is that someone has replaced hub assemblies with aftermarket that included the sensors and they differ from OEM at the hub. The plug in is the same as OEM, just different on the hub sensor end. Only solution I have been offered is buy a new hub assembly with the OEM sensor. But I don't need a hub assembly (in which case I'd need 2 since the other side is the same off brand sensor), and who knows what is on the back at this point. I need a $20 sensor to solve my problems and can't seem to buy one...frustrating! Anyone run into this problem and have a solution or part number? Surely I'm not the only one with a Jeep running these hubs and sensors. Just in case anyone is wondering, the Jeep has not been wrecked and I can find no indication to the contrary, and I did check the part numbers at the dealership for the front axle assembly and they are indeed 09 Jeep Wrangler, so not a complete front end out of anything else.

Round with a notch and shorter than OEM

idk if you ever find out I have the same issue in my 2009 do you still have the old hub or the numbers so I can do some research if possible thank you
Old 11-04-2020, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by XANMANMARV THE GOD
idk if you ever find out I have the same issue in my 2009 do you still have the old hub or the numbers so I can do some research if possible thank you
I do still have the old hub assembly, both in fact as a short time later I had to replace the other side. No numbers to be found though. Save yourself the headache and buy the new hub assembly with OEM sensor equivalent. I spent many hours researching, calling, and driving to parts stores trying to save $80 and a little extra labor, and still had to spend the extra money and do the extra labor. No issues since changing out the strange aftermarket assemblies, and no more electrical gremlins have cropped up beyond the occasional engine light for small evaporative leak.

Interestingly though, I have encountered the soft brake pedal issue mentioned above after changing out the front calipers. Bled and bled, tried everything I could think but still a soft pedal. Not as extreme as above case describes, and braking is fine...just a lot softer than pre caliper change and rock hard before start up, soft after. Gotta love all those "Jeep things."

Quick Reply: Need wheel speed sensor help! Frustrating!