Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need wheel speed sensor help! Frustrating!

Old 10-02-2018, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need wheel speed sensor help! Frustrating!

I have a new to me 2009 X Unlimited and am new to the forum. I apologize if this has been covered, but I am attempted to search extensively and have yet to find the information I'm seeking, though it's hard to imagine I'm the only one facing this particular problem. Just for background, this Jeep has a salvage title following a hydrolock motor, so while I got it at what I felt was a bargain price, I do not have access to the previous owner for help with these questions. So the issue is as follows: I bought the Jeep with new motor installed, all seems good to go and in good working order with the exception of ABS/EPS/BAS lights and traction control on, cruise control not working. I scan it and it indicates right front wheel speed sensor. I figure no big deal, $20 fix and I'm good to go there. In the meantime, I have some intermittent cruise control function, and the lights even go off completely once for a couple of miles. I go and purchase a wheel sensor at O'Reilly, ABS2011, and head in to fix it....here the problems ensue. I take the sensor out, and immediately I see an issue. The existing sensor is round, with a small notch. The replacement sensor is longer and squared. Sure enough, it won't fit, would break it to attempt to bolt the new sensor in. Clean and reinstall the old sensor, hoping for a miracle fix as I return the new sensor. Lights still on, I head to the parts store hoping to get the correct sensor. Nope, all the computer can find is one sensor from 07-17. Says go to the dealer. I go to the dealer, same thing, wrong sensor. I search online, all the wrong sensor. Lights go off. Cruise control works. Fixed!! Nope, lights back on, only now its at best aggravating and at most dangerous as I have one moment of ABS braking in and out and two instances of power loss as traction control tries to engage. Lights off a bit, mostly on, still need a sensor. I remove the old sensor and take with me to O'Reilly, Advance, Auto Zone, CARQUEST, Dealership....Everyone looks at me like I have 3 eyes and the sensor in my hand does not exist....but it must exist, it is in my hand. Nope, no one can find anything like it. I check the other side...same sensor. I check for a part number on the sensor, no luck. I check for part number on hub assembly, but haven't found anything. My thinking at this point is that someone has replaced hub assemblies with aftermarket that included the sensors and they differ from OEM at the hub. The plug in is the same as OEM, just different on the hub sensor end. Only solution I have been offered is buy a new hub assembly with the OEM sensor. But I don't need a hub assembly (in which case I'd need 2 since the other side is the same off brand sensor), and who knows what is on the back at this point. I need a $20 sensor to solve my problems and can't seem to buy one...frustrating! Anyone run into this problem and have a solution or part number? Surely I'm not the only one with a Jeep running these hubs and sensors. Just in case anyone is wondering, the Jeep has not been wrecked and I can find no indication to the contrary, and I did check the part numbers at the dealership for the front axle assembly and they are indeed 09 Jeep Wrangler, so not a complete front end out of anything else.

Round with a notch and shorter than OEM

Old 10-03-2018, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

A couple things here. Based on your current level of frustration, it seems like a no brainer to replace both front hubs. They wear with time and could be giving you false readings since your speed sensor is nothing more than a magnet reading the skips between the cogs.

Second- how did you determine that it was a front and not a rear sensor? There are speed sensors at each corner. The rears should be pulled and cleaned as good measure.

Other things in general to check would be steering wheel position and make sure any open recalls (clockspring) have been performed.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:25 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply . I determined the right front wheel sensor with a code scanner that threw 4 codes, all indicating front wheel sensor . I can't recall the code numbers, but wrote them down and they all related to right front wheel speed sensor. Upon trying to change it, I cleaned the sensor and reinstalled since replacement wouldn't work, and it definitely changed the behavior of the lights, with them going off and on now when they were staying on beforehand. I took that as further verification of the right wheel speed sensor being the issue. I did not have play in the wheel or any noise to indicate a bad wheel bearing either. While I understand that changing hubs may be a no brainer solution to some, it seems ridiculous to me to turn a $20 fix into several hundred dollars. I'm confident a new sensor would clear my current issue. It seems at this time I may have no other recourse, but I was hoping someone might chime in that would point me towards the correct sensor. I'll have it. checked for the recalls.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

It appears that your Jeep had its hubs (wheel bearing assembly) replaced at some point.

Many of the aftermarket hubs use proprietary sensors. Only their brand will fit into their hubs. If you can determine what brand of hub you have, you may be able to order a replacement sensor from that specific manufacturer. If you can't, you will have to order a whole new hub.

Sorry to drop the bad news.

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, your answer is pretty much what I expected and I had concluded as much before posting here. I just wasn't prepared to resign myself to that reality without seeking alternatives from the wealth of knowledge and experience that resides here.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

New hubs don't cost that much. Although everyone has pretty much determined all the different brands are same, some of them supply longer ABS lines than other. Rednroll has some good info in regards to that in this post -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...1/#post4328857

You can find that Crown unit for under $100 ea, and they're easy to slap on. I know I've stated the same thing as above, and I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's what you're up against. Those hubs have been replaced, and those are not factory sensors, they are the ones that came with the hubs.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks resharp. Looks like the Crown assembly may be the way to go. So having the same aftermarket hub and sensor on the driver side, is it prudent to do both hubs at the same time or simply change the problem side and roll with it until other issues arise? Any issues with only changing out one hub?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If it were me, I'd just replace the one side. As long as there's nothing wrong with the other hub assembly, it doesn't matter that the speed sensors are not the same.....as long as they work with the particular hub they are in. That's just my opinion though. Just know if that other side ends up going out, you're looking at the same situation.

There are old threads on the forums....the one I have in mind in particular is on the other major JK specific board.....but one member compared actual units under different brands, and found they all had the same taiwan (if i recall) number stamped on it them.....and determined that they were all the same thing quality wise......hence no need to spend more for one vs. the other, just buy the cheapest. That said, over time it was determined that some have longer sensor wiring which would definitely be more desirable.

I just bought a Crown unit off ebay from jcwhitney for $91.55 myself. It's just sitting on my workbench. When I get home (if I can remember), I'll pull that speed sensor out and snap a pic of it just for the record of what's inside it.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

That's what I had in mind to do unless someone gave me strong reasoning to change both. If it ain't broke don't fix it... appreciate your help and advice. If you don't mind pulling that crown sensor and taking a pic for me I'd certainly appreciate it. It seems all the sensors available have the same end, yet mine is different. When viewing pics of aftermarket hub assemblies, they all show with the sensor installed and can't see if they look like the available replacement sensors or not. Don't want to buy another hub assembly in which I can't replace a sensor if needed. Definitely prefer to go with the longer cables as well. O'Reilly had an aftermarket assembly and we pulled the sensor to see if it would work in my hub. It wouldn't, was the short cable, and was $150. Crown sounds preferable.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Not sure these will help a ton, but knowledge is power.....

Speed sensor from brand new Crown unit bearing:

Sorry, I didn't want to wipe all the grease off brand new sensor, so took best pics I could. I just so happened to have ANOTHER new unit bearing on my work bench courtesy of member jsukey. Unknown brand, unknown age of unit, but never been used. Pulled that speed sensor and here is what IT looked like:

Quick Reply: Need wheel speed sensor help! Frustrating!