Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Jeep wont start

Old 08-01-2017, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Jeep wont start

I have a '17 2dr JK 6spd. I love this jeep it replaced my '77 CJ-7 so the upgrade was amazing.
It has 735 miles on it, so Sunday the wife and I take the Hardtop off, Monday morning go to leave for work and click but no start, all lights work.

Battery tests 11.3 volts, charged for 3 hours on Monday night@ 10amp setting. Battery shows 12.99 volts when I go to bed.

Tuesday Morning go to start, click no start, all lights work. I have had a chance to test the voltage yet as I am at work. Something is killing the battery quickly and all I did was remove the hardtop and install a Bikini top and duster top. I am at a loss.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Did the dealer not explain that taking the top off will drain the battery?

700 miles on it.....that is odd to have something drain the battery like that without it being obvious....like leaving headlights on or something. Honestly, I'd just take it back to the dealer and have them troubleshoot it given it's brand new.

My dad was a pastor at Methodist church in Ellicott few years back. Small world.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

It just seems so weird that it was fine right up until the top came off
Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

There are cases of sudden death to the battery. It happened to me and many others by the 2 year mark. It is curious that it happened when you took the top off though. Did you also take the doors off? The only thing I can think of is to make sure the radio automatically turns off and doesn't stay on. Opening the door after the engine is shut down makes the radio turn off. If the doors are removed, that trigger doesn't exist to turn off the radio (though it still should turn off after about 10 minutes I think)

Last edited by rob_engineer; 08-01-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Doors are still on, I assume with how smart vehicles are these days it turns off almost anything that would drain the battery to include interior light and stuff.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery my be dead.
A lot of dealers do not move vehicles around on the lot. If the jeep sat for a few months before you bought it, it might have fried the cells. Take it to the dealer and have the warranty cover it. I work at a kia dealer and this happens a lot more then it should.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akguy09
Doors are still on, I assume with how smart vehicles are these days it turns off almost anything that would drain the battery to include interior light and stuff.
I can confirm it shuts off all lights even if a door is ajar or even intentionally turned on after only a few minutes.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am 99% certain the battery is bad. Tested the battery yesterday again 10.5 volts, charged 2hours @1oamps and started it while on the charger.

Checked voltage while at idle 14.5 volts, so obviously the altenator is working, drove the jeep for 25 miles

Shut off engine and attempted to immediately restart, click but no start. Checked voltage again 10.5 volts.

That tells me its a bad battery, all gound wires and starter wires were checked to ensure they were tight.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quick run to a parts store will tell you if the battery is toast. I have had mine give good readings but I couldn't properly test it under load. Took it to the parts store and they tested it. Turns out it was bad. I had a bad cell and 2 weak cells.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Now you got some options. Deal with headache of taking it to the dealer who will replace the battery under warranty. You can then feel somewhat confident for about the next 2 years, when it can leave you suddenly stranded. Or, you can go spend about $125 on the best battery Walmart has and be confident that it won't fail for at least 5 years.

Quick Reply: New Jeep wont start