Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Newb Diff Mistake

Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Newb Diff Mistake

I did my JK diff front and rear about 3 weeks ago and wanted to do the same service to my girlfriends 2004 grand Cherokee.

I used regular black silicone adhesive rather than the recommended RTV black. I just got the wrong one out of my tool box kinda in the zone with the tunes on.

Do I have to do the diffs over again? Wait and watch them and see if they leak? My gut tells me to just do them over again correctly but I don't think it's a high temperature area that requires the regular RTV.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance. On a positive I used the black RTV on my JK 3 weeks ago so it's only hers to worry about. I'm on the permatex website and it looks like they have green specifically for differential because additive may eat away the gasket.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo928.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	676226  

Last edited by EHarris; 11-26-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=EHarris;4308893]I did my JK diff front and rear about 3 weeks ago and wanted to do the same service to my girlfriends 2004 grand Cherokee.

I used regular black silicone adhesive rather than the recommended RTV black. I just got the wrong one out of my tool box kinda in the zone with the tunes on.

Do I have to do the diffs over again? Wait and watch them and see if they leak? My gut tells me to just do them over again correctly but I don't think it's a high temperature area that requires the regular RTV.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance. On a positive I used the black RTV on my JK 3 weeks ago so it's only hers to worry about. I'm on the permatex website and it looks like they have green specifically for differential because additive may eat away the gasket.[/QUOTE

You're fine. It's a low heat application.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Pffft.... hold what you got. Watch it and if you see it seeping, then change it. (I doubt you will though)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Ok thanks boys. I was super bummed when I saw the mistake but figured it couldn't have been that bad. I'll make sure the cheap shit is out of my tool box.

How about the green label specifically for diffs? My buddy has some aftermarket covers and I was thinking about the green over lube lockers.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's seeping, clean up cold diff bottom with brake cleaner and add nice smooth layer of RTV at the lip I peeled a diff cover a while ago on a trail, pounded it back, waited for it too cool at camp, added RTV and then drove for almost a 1000 miles before I was changing diff oil again and had no leaks
Old 11-27-2017, 11:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Why don't people just use the diff drain plug? I see no reason to remove my cover. I have 95,000 miles on my 2012 and have changed the diff fluid 4 or 5 times. It's so easy to do with the drain plugs that are built into our diffs.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like to look at the gears themselves and makr sure that there is no small particulate on the bottom. Many years back I chipped a piece off and while the oil looked good, the way it settled it would have not came out even if the drain plug was at the bottom....
Old 11-27-2017, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
I like to look at the gears themselves and makr sure that there is no small particulate on the bottom. Many years back I chipped a piece off and while the oil looked good, the way it settled it would have not came out even if the drain plug was at the bottom....
Fair enough. For me, I'm confident that the particulate on the magnetic drain plug gives me a good enough indication of the health of the teeth.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Fair enough. For me, I'm confident that the particulate on the magnetic drain plug gives me a good enough indication of the health of the teeth.
I think if I had stock gearing and either was mainly on the pavement, or my wheelin' was light, I'd be fine with just draining and refilling, but I too like to remove the cover and visually inspect everything. After regearing and wheelin' pretty decent, I just like to keep an eye on the internals. I use lubelockers, so doesn't take but a little extra time since no scraping RTV off. It's a labor of love
Old 11-27-2017, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive also had bolts on my Detroit back out. I have seen bolts on the ring gear loosen up(once on stock axle). Ability to catch stuff early is worth taking the cover off

Quick Reply: Newb Diff Mistake