Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie stumped with 2015 JKU starting issue.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie stumped with 2015 JKU starting issue.

Hello everyone,

Trying to solve a starting problem with a 2015 unlimited. It happens once every couple of weeks various symptoms and actions as follows.
1. Key in, turn all the lights come on but the starter makes no attempt.
2. With foot on the brake, key in run position, I can't move the gear shift.
3. Key off, I hear what sounds like a gear driven motor, I assume it has to do with locking the gear shift selector.
4. If I fiddle with it a few times, gear selector will go into all gears.
5. Once gears can be selected with key in starter position, moving the selector through the gears and neutral I have had times when the starter has in engaged and times when it does nothing.
6. A few smacks to the starter at times has caused it to seemingly solve the problem and other times not.
6. Wiggling the wiring to the starter has at times caused the starter to work and others not.

In the end I have always been able to start it after 10 minutes or so of messing with it. Once the starter engages it has the normal sound / speed unlike what I have experienced with a weak battery in other vehicles. I know if this goes to the dealer they will write "problem not found at this time". So the only other I idea I have is to have it towed the 1 hour plus to the nearest dealer once it acts up.

So I come to you all hoping I can get help.

Thank you in advance!
Don
Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Not saying this is would help, but our jeeps do weird things when the batteries are going bad. Many on here, including myself have experienced early death of the battery without good reason. This can happen around 2 years which is just about where you are at in time.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Not saying this is would help, but our jeeps do weird things when the batteries are going bad. Many on here, including myself have experienced early death of the battery without good reason. This can happen around 2 years which is just about where you are at in time.
Rob,

Should I expect the battery to fail a battery test or is that a random outcome?

Thank you,
Don
Old 12-18-2017, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG1RED9
Rob,

Should I expect the battery to fail a battery test or is that a random outcome?

Thank you,
Don
Yes, should fail a test if it is bad when put under load. Some folks have also had electrical gremlins due to loose connections to the battery that mimicked to problems of a faulty battery.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Check out my older post about running an extra ground to the alternator bracket. Fixed all of my electrical problems.

My battery went bad 2 times and replaced under warranty until it expired and I got a new AGM from sears.

Never buy an OEM battery but you can let them replace it until the warranty is up for free.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the starter out and bring it to NAPA or Autozone to test it, if its good check your battery, if battery is good check all wiring. Seems like a simple starter / battery issue. Do you have any leaks? Engine oil on the wires, starter etc. can cause this too. Good luck!!
Old 12-21-2017, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkubeast
Pull the starter out and bring it to NAPA or Autozone to test it, if its good check your battery, if battery is good check all wiring. Seems like a simple starter / battery issue. Do you have any leaks? Engine oil on the wires, starter etc. can cause this too. Good luck!!
No leaks. If it can be isolated by testing the starter or battery, I think I will let the dealer have a shot at it. It needs to head in for a pre-paid service anyway and its under warranty. If they can't find it then I will repeat the tests you suggest.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EHarris
Check out my older post about running an extra ground to the alternator bracket. Fixed all of my electrical problems.

My battery went bad 2 times and replaced under warranty until it expired and I got a new AGM from sears.

Never buy an OEM battery but you can let them replace it until the warranty is up for free.
Will do,
Thanks
Old 12-21-2017, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Yes, should fail a test if it is bad when put under load. Some folks have also had electrical gremlins due to loose connections to the battery that mimicked to problems of a faulty battery.
I will try and get it tested at the dealer then begin the electrical hunt.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Newbie stumped with 2015 JKU starting issue.