JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   No a/c (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/no-c-349712/)

Ryan1023 03-20-2019 05:58 AM

No a/c

Hey all
my 2013 wrangler has no a/c, and i dont know what i need to fix that. I dont think its a faulty a/c, i think it never had it, cause when i press the buttons that should turn on the a/c... no lights. I dont know a super ton about the inner workings of cars, learning a little more and more in my adventure of owning a jeep, so i dont know what needs to be done to my jeep in order to get air condintioning. Any help as well as aprox. Ballparks on how much money im gunna have to spend would be greatly apreciated

drew 03-20-2019 08:44 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Most Wranglers have A/C from the factory. Not to be Captain Obvious, but why didn't you check before you bought it?
A picture of your HVAC controls would help. If the A/C just isn't working it's probably going to be $$$. If it has to be installed it's going to be $$$$.

Ryan1023 03-20-2019 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by drew (Post 4338435)
Welcome to the forum.
Most Wranglers have A/C from the factory. Not to be Captain Obvious, but why didn't you check before you bought it?
A picture of your HVAC controls would help. If the A/C just isn't working it's probably going to be $$$. If it has to be installed it's going to be $$$$.

honestly didnt think of ac not working, its never been an issue for me, and it wasnt exactly my breaking point for getting a jeep

resharp001 03-20-2019 10:59 AM

Confusing thread. I thought originally you were saying it just wasn't working, and that it was never working since you bought the jeep. Should be easy enough to open the hood and identify a/c compressor and refrigerant lines in the engine bay. If the jeep does not have a/c, then it's a real uphill climb. I recall a couple years ago someone in this situation that went about adding a/c, or attempting to by sourcing the parts necessary, but really don't recall the outcome or if there was a followup. Part of me wants to think they threw in the towel on the idea.

Anytime someone mentions a jeep that has no a/c, I think of my sister back in 1990, who went and bought the cheapest bare bones brand new black YJ.....4-banger, 5-speed, soft top, no radio, and NO A/C.....in Texas none the less. Let's just say it was hot in the summer, and in the winter she'd wrap up in a heavy blanket as she drove off. :rotflmao2: I think that jeep cost about $9700, and probably still costs about $9700 today to pick one up off Craigslist. :crazyeyes:

Ryan1023 03-20-2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4338448)
Confusing thread. I thought originally you were saying it just wasn't working, and that it was never working since you bought the jeep. Should be easy enough to open the hood and identify a/c compressor and refrigerant lines in the engine bay. If the jeep does not have a/c, then it's a real uphill climb. I recall a couple years ago someone in this situation that went about adding a/c, or attempting to by sourcing the parts necessary, but really don't recall the outcome or if there was a followup. Part of me wants to think they threw in the towel on the idea.

Anytime someone mentions a jeep that has no a/c, I think of my sister back in 1990, who went and bought the cheapest bare bones brand new black YJ.....4-banger, 5-speed, soft top, no radio, and NO A/C.....in Texas none the less. Let's just say it was hot in the summer, and in the winter she'd wrap up in a heavy blanket as she drove off. :rotflmao2: I think that jeep cost about $9700, and probably still costs about $9700 today to pick one up off Craigslist. :crazyeyes:

yea i fear i might have the latter, i mean i get it, you get what you pay for, cant blame anyone but my wallet. Ill open up the hood after work to see whats goin on in there

resharp001 03-20-2019 02:33 PM

This isn't the thread I was thinking of before, but look at post #4 here -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ioning-111405/

Yikes.