Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No start on first try

Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No start on first try

I have a 2012 Jkur that usually will not start on first try,it just spins over then sputters out,turn the key a second time and starts right up .Ive checked connections,battery is tight ,doesn’t matter which key I use or if I turn key and give it a few seconds before I try and start.I researched for similar problems before I asked and everything I read that seems to cause this has checked out of other than checking fuel pressure before first start up .It has never left me stranded but didn’t know if it will eventually,battery is fairly new and seems to have plenty of power and voltage is good .
The following users liked this post:
mb037v (07-08-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Doesn't sound like your issue, but the starter on my 2012 Jku died last month. It presented like symptoms of a weak battery, but turned out to be the starter.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

This rascal turns over fast and strong ,seems like not gett8ng spark or fuel but I try again immed. And it starts right up. No codes also
Old 02-18-2019, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

What’s the longest you let it crank? On my ride if it’s a hot day, for some reason I can experience the same thing. Only thing I can think of is vapor lock. I have a new battery and it will still do it on occasion.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

I have that bump the key and it starts itself feature so it turns over for a few seconds then sputters out,I bumpe the key again and it starts right up
Old 02-19-2019, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry man, I got nothing but guesses. Fuel pressure at startup?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Trottle body been cleaned? Spark plugs and wires replaced?

Just throwing out ideas.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Guys I appreciate the guesses but I have already exhausted my own guesses and theories ,really looking for someone who has had this problem and what they found to solve it ,the Jeep is highly serviced and is not throwing any codes currently
Old 02-22-2019, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Dzldust
Guys I appreciate the guesses but I have already exhausted my own guesses and theories ,really looking for someone who has had this problem and what they found to solve it ,the Jeep is highly serviced and is not throwing any codes currently

How did you try pulling the codes? Not all code readers are equal.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but to be honest, you're also being a bit naive in thinking one symptom will have the same fix. All the things suggested could cause the symptom you're describing. As an example, you can read a 1000 posts on these forums about the JK Wranglers blowing cold air from the driver's side heater vent, which is a general symptom for a poor performing heater system but there's 10+ different repairs to fix that poor heat....ask me how I know.

Additionally, you also haven't informed us what you have and haven't done. Without knowing what you have done and checked is like asking everyone to read your mind. If you could at least list the items you had replaced or checked, then that would provide others the ability to identify other potential causes you may have overlooked. You really have to help others before they can help you or otherwise we're just throwing out guesses as you're observing.

In general with dyno fuel combustion engine vehicles there is gas and there is spark as you noted. If the engine is getting both of those at the right time, 99% of the time it will start. If it's not starting, then something within the system which could be a 1000 different other items could be causing the problem.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-22-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

We have quite a nice setup at the shop and have not found any codes other than an occasional .oo2 % evap leak ,I’m not asking about all the things that can cause this or for someone to walk me through all the diagnostics ,we have been researching and checking all the grounds ,fuel pressure at startup etc ,I specifically asked if “ anyone has had this problem” question. I appreciate the help but I’m at the end of my guesses and tests and was just asking a question and seeing if anyone had similar issue with a fix they found .

Quick Reply: No start on first try