Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No start on first try

Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dzldust
I have a 2012 Jkur that usually will not start on first try,it just spins over then sputters out,turn the key a second time and starts right up .Ive checked connections,battery is tight ,doesn’t matter which key I use or if I turn key and give it a few seconds before I try and start.I researched for similar problems before I asked and everything I read that seems to cause this has checked out of other than checking fuel pressure before first start up .It has never left me stranded but didn’t know if it will eventually,battery is fairly new and seems to have plenty of power and voltage is good .
Hi Dzldust,

I have a 2011 stock JK 2 door sport with 123,000 miles that does something similar. Every once in a while I will turn the key and it cranks, then lopes, and dies. Then the next time I bump the key it starts right up no problem. No Idle issues, no acceleration issues, no stalling, only the occasional failure to start, but never two times in a row. I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, gas cap, purge valve (had small evap leak) ESIM module on the canister, PCV valve, just for good measure, and partially cleaned the coking out of the throttle body ( I did not remove the throttle body). It seems to do it when it is warm outside as well, or when the engine is hot but not always. If you have made any progress in solving this your issue I would like to hear about it.

Thanks,

Mb037v
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this is crazy ,I took my worn out flowmaster off the Jeep and welded on a Magnaflow muffler and the Jeep has started great everytime. It has been doing the delayed starting thing for the last few months and has now stopped .Its only been a few days but it starts right up everytime now .weird but might have fixed it .
Old 07-12-2019, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I would clean the throttle body. It can't hurt and just inspecting it to see how dirty it looks may give you some clues.

I don't know if the 3.6L has an EGR valve but on a 3.8L that could be another likely problem.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-12-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throttle body is clean, IT seems to be fixed with the new exhaust

Quick Reply: No start on first try