Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Non-Selectable Lockers

Old 05-18-2015, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Selectable Lockers

Do non-selectable lockers cause faults with the jeep when used? I think I remember this being said recently, but only on the 2012 or newer models.
I was thinking of adding a true-trac or lunchbox locker to the front Dana 30 but i don't want to run into problems with the electronics.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Rear axle, with automatic transmission, and auto-lockers. (lunchbox, detroit, etc).

No problems with auto-lockers up front, you shouldn't notice it until you shift into 4wd. And I haven't seen any issues with the truetrac l/s front or back.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not have any problems and you'll like the traction.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrzw70
Do non-selectable lockers cause faults with the jeep when used? I think I remember this being said recently, but only on the 2012 or newer models.
I was thinking of adding a true-trac or lunchbox locker to the front Dana 30 but i don't want to run into problems with the electronics.
Tru-tracs will not interfere because they are limited slip differentials. Lunch box lockers won't interfere on the street, but they can hurt your turning radius on tight technical trails when you don't need the front locked, but it locks automatically. In the rear they will try to lock up on the street.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Former Vendor

2014 Willy's, Detroit Soft Locker upfront and 37's. Not one issue. I've installed probably 15 auto lockers in '12+ Jk's and never had one issue with any of them. Michael @ Level 10

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-101403546.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	611503
Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2014 manual and have front and rear TT. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Level 10 Off Road
2014 Willy's, Detroit Soft Locker upfront and 37's. Not one issue. I've installed probably 15 auto lockers in '12+ Jk's and never had one issue with any of them. Michael @ Level 10
What about auto lockers or TT in the rear of 2012+ JK's with an auto? No issues there? I've seen where in some instances it causes the jeep to go into limp in mode. I know there is at least one thread on this forum, and I read about some of the same issues on thread at Wrangler forum too.

I curious because my buddy has a 2013 JKU and he wants to go to TT like I did, but after reading about the issues and going into Limpin mode, he's gun shy. Now instead of 850 dollars worth of TT for the F/R, he's looking at more expensive Air or E lockers.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
What about auto lockers or TT in the rear of 2012+ JK's with an auto? No issues there? I've seen where in some instances it causes the jeep to go into limp in mode. I know there is at least one thread on this forum, and I read about some of the same issues on thread at Wrangler forum too.

I curious because my buddy has a 2013 JKU and he wants to go to TT like I did, but after reading about the issues and going into Limpin mode, he's gun shy. Now instead of 850 dollars worth of TT for the F/R, he's looking at more expensive Air or E lockers.
My '14 has the Detroit (Auto Locker) in front with a LSD in the rear, zero issues. I keep reading on the forums, where people say it's an issue, but personal experience and my previous installs, not once has limp mode popped up.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Auto-lockers in the 'Rear' axle of 2012+ with automatic transmissions.

So apparently a front locker would not trigger it. A rear truetrac would not trigger it. A manual trans would not trigger it. You would need an auto-locker in the rear axle, with an automatic transmission, in a 2012+ JK.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-260152/page2/

Two of the posts by the folks at Dynatrac...

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
I've done some checking and confirmed that this locker issue is only with auto trans equipped 2012-2013 JKs.

I did some checking and found that the new 12 auto trans computer is a bit more complex than previous models. While driving it monitors yaw, pitch, acceleration, vehicle speed, wheel speed etc. A Detroit Locker is always locked until traction on a corner allows the outside tire to unlock. When equal axle speed is achieved after the corner, the unit once again locks. It is suspected that the lock/unlock motion of the locker is tripping the computer. The ProCal is not able to compensate.

And another thought is that, since that thread is a few years old, is it possible that there have been some computer updates from the factory that have fixed the issue?

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-20-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Former Vendor

There may have been some ECU updates. Not sure. The rear explains as why I've never seen an issue personally though. I won't install an auto locker in the rear. On the trail it has a tendency to push the front end and to a degree overcome the steering. Selectable or LSD only in the rear.

BIGipServerjkforum_POOL

Quick Reply: Non-Selectable Lockers