Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noob trail spares question

Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob trail spares question

Ok I know I've been able to do this ok with Landrovers and Nissan Patrols with no problems because their hubs were enclosed.
If I am playing on a trail in my JK with my mates, mostly various other 4x4's, they usually dig up spare parts between them, I know, that's not going to work with me having a Jeep so must be self sufficient.
If I break a front uni on my d44 with 33's, can I just pulll the broken bits out, plug the holes somehow and still drive it to camp for repairs or home ok.
Replacing unijoints on the trail has always semed a pain compared to just swapping a prebuilt set, so I guess if I do break one I should have a spare set with me just in case, or at least the uni joints so perhaps a local workshop has a chance of fixing it?
Any other bit likely to fail I should carry onboard?
Special tools to dissassemble some bits?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your JK front akle is a unit bearing assembly so you should be able to pull the broken shaft plug the tube and drive it, though I would highly suggest just carrying a spare. My though process is this, if you are going to dissasemble to the point of pulling the broken shaft out, then you mind as well throw the spare in before you put it back together. There was another thread on here about specific tools to carry for most of your needs, try searching for it. I carry a craftsman 184 piece kit in the plastic box it came in and have added a few things to bridge the gap for any other issues I have.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<--carries 2 spare ujoints for jk d44's and a ujoint press. On long trips i carry my stock spare shafts being i have in the cromolly ones.

Quick Reply: Noob trail spares question