Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noticing Clutch Stutter when coming off clutch. (sometimes)

Old 12-02-2015, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Noticing Clutch Stutter when coming off clutch. (sometimes)

I am a newer owner to this 2007 Jeep JkU... I got it in June this year. And everything felt great when I got her.
I am not new to stick but haven't owned them myself, so I don't fully understand their mechanics yet.

>>>I am experiencing somewhat of a clutch stutter or jerky sensation when releasing the clutch. A lot of 1st 2nd and 3rd gear driving where I live and drive to work. So I feel it a lot. Like yesterday for example I was in and out of the jeep at least 10x. Each time it had the stutter, but this morning it seems to be doing ok. (I have also noticed this stutter before (possibly) around the time I last went wheeling, but it went away as well)<<<

I do go wheeling frequently, maybe twice a month, few hours at a time. Decent hill climbs and lots of flex. I live in Yuma AZ by the desert and mountains. And I am one of the few who drive stick in a jeep offroad out here. Being new to that, I know I do slip the clutch quite a bit more than often, maybe I am roasting it a little bit, idk.

But I am trying to find out why it is and what causes it. Or is the clutch just simply going out and should not buy any other accessories or go wheeling this week until i fix it!?!
Old 12-02-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running big tires with stock gears?
Old 12-02-2015, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How many miles on the rig, assuming it's a stock clutch?

Occasional judder when engaging the clutch the first time or two while taking off when the Jeep is stone cold and the weather is cool/damp isn't unheard of. Especially as clutches get a little older on these Jeeps.

Judder when all the Jeep's components are warm, repeatedly, and in higher gears (3rd?) is probably a sign that something else is up. Probably nearing the end of the clutch's friction surface or maybe the flywheel needs to be resurfaced.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like a classic case of a new guy on an old clutch. If that's the clutch you learned on, there's probably a good chance if it was high mileage that you heated it up real good a couple times while you were learning, or maybe when wheeling, and it might be a good idea to have it looked at before it leaves you high and dry on your next trip.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Jeeps got 85k miles. And i sure won't deny the whole new guy old clutch situation. But for the most part I seem to do well driving it. Off road... Different story. But it has been two days since ive noticed the judder.

(As for the higher gears.. Maybe I didn't really feel it in 3rd) (1st and 2nd were quite obvious, 3rd maybe a little but putting it in 3 at low low rpms)
Old 12-03-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try resetting the throttle. Turn ignition key on but not all the way. When dash lights stop flashing, doing what they do, push gas peddle to the floor and release in one slow motion. Turn key off, then start the Jeep. This works for me, I have a 2011 JKU with 50,000 miles.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mgbmac
Try resetting the throttle. Turn ignition key on but not all the way. When dash lights stop flashing, doing what they do, push gas peddle to the floor and release in one slow motion. Turn key off, then start the Jeep. This works for me, I have a 2011 JKU with 50,000 miles.
Alright I will give that a shot!
Would you say you do this often or not really?
Old 12-04-2015, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed I was getting the same issues as you, and came across this remedy either in this forum or elsewhere. I do it once a month, maybe, and it just works!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure it worked for me... But I didn't get to drive it too much after I did it either.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

So I have been doing some testing. I'm not quite sure the throttle reset worked for me. But I did beat her up this weekend on the rocks for about 6 hours.
Afterwards I aired up the tires. I feel like the only time I notice the jutter is when I'm low at 12 psi. I'm at 35 now and I haven't felt it in 3-4 days. Idk!

Quick Reply: Noticing Clutch Stutter when coming off clutch. (sometimes)