Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

O2 sensor pains P0037

Old 05-24-2018, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor pains P0037

I am stumped.

2 weeks ago I got bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage.

no problem...replaced. 4days later. Same code. Replaced a second time...4 days later, you guessed it back.

Anyone have any ideas

2011 3.8l auto.

Last edited by Eseyoung; 05-24-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-24-2018, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

No other codes or drivability issues.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Bank 1 is passenger side, sensor 2 is downstream of cat -- Is that what you replaced?

The code means the heater (for the sensor) has low voltage, which is circuit K299 in the drawing below. The resistance of the heater (pins 1 & 2 in the drawing) is supposed to be 2 to 30 ohms at 70 deg F ambient. Since the code is heater voltage low (at the PCM) it would take a low resistance (shorted) heater, a short to ground on K299, or a bad PCM.

Here's some info from the manual:

Old 05-24-2018, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

I got the right sensor...thanks for the info. I will try tracing the wires back looking for a short.

Would a failing battery cause this intermittent problem?
I got the code to clear after 3 'drive cycles'.
Just for fun I turned on every electrical draw I could think of and started it...during cranking the voltage on the ECU dropped to 10.8 (according to my scan tool) and the code came back.
3 drive cycles, it's gone again
Old 05-24-2018, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

I got the right sensor...thanks for the info. I will try tracing the wires back looking for a short.

Just for fun I turned on every electrical draw I could think of and started it...during cranking the voltage on the ECU dropped to 10.8 (according to my scan tool) and the code came back.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Eseyoung

10.8 V during cranking is OK, but grounds and bad connections, especially intermittent ones, can have strange side effects. This is sounding like an intermittent problem, and I think you're on the right track to check the wiring from the sensor to the PCM first. If I remember right the wiring goes up and over the bell housing -- very hard too see up there. Has the transmission been out recently, any work done that might damage wiring?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Default Sensor Brand ??

Just thought of something -- What brand of sensor did you use? If it's Bosch, you may want to try a Mopar or NTK instead.

Side note: The PCM may be comparing the voltage at the pin connected to K299 with the three other O2 sensor heaters, as well as fixed alarm points. If it works this way, mixing O2 sensors from different brands may not work so well. Bosch sells a lot of O2 sensors, but they are the cheapest, and feedback isn't 100% positive with the JK.

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-24-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added side note...
Old 05-24-2018, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah. The transmission was rebuilt in January...I have put about 5000 miles on it.

it is an ntk sensor.

I'll see what I can see around the top of the bell housing.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Eseyoung
Yeah. The transmission was rebuilt in January...I have put about 5000 miles on it.

it is an ntk sensor.

I'll see what I can see around the top of the bell housing.
There's a sheet metal support for the wiring that uses two of the upper bell housing bolts on the passenger side. If that wiring support isn't put back carefully the wiring could get pinched during install, or eventually rub insulation if it's not properly installed.
The following users liked this post:
Eseyoung (05-25-2018)

Quick Reply: O2 sensor pains P0037