Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OBD-II Port Retaining Clip

Old 09-17-2017, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBD-II Port Retaining Clip

I had some work done on my Jeep by a private shop recently. When I got the vehicle back, I noticed that the OBD-II port was dangling and not sitting in its metal bracket correctly. I then noticed some pieces of what I presume was a black, hard plastic retaining clip on the floor. I've searched the Web, but can't seem to figure out exactly how that OBD-II port is retained in that metal bracket. Can anybody tell me if they know what keeps the port on place, is there a black, plastic frame or clip that goes in front or behind the metal bracket and, if so, any ideas what the part number is, what it might be called, or where I could get a replacement? The port itself is fine and still works properly, I just want to re-secure it inside the metal bracket properly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2348.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	674934
Old 09-17-2017, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

the molded snap clips in the plug sides.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
the molded snap clips in the plug sides.
Thanks. I just can't seem to find the part described anywhere online or in any JK parts diagrams. I guess I'll have to go to the dealership.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you have a junk yard you can pull one from many dodge jeep vehicles. I got one off a dodge pickup and spliced it into the wire harness.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
Thanks. I just can't seem to find the part described anywhere online or in any JK parts diagrams.
We have to be provided the absolute worst parts diagrams out of any manufacturer I've ever owned. Unless you're looking for big components, it's damn near impossible to track down little things like this.....and if you are lucky enough to locate a part number, you feel like you're ordering blindly as there is almost zero chance you'll be provided a picture for confirmation.

I'd either 1) go with Dirtman's suggestion if there are any yards around you that you can source from, 2) take it back to the shop and ask them what happened there and request they fix it, or 3) ziptie it in place.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

As luck would have it, I now find myself in your situation with a dangling OBD II port. LOL. Good grief.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
As luck would have it, I now find myself in your situation with a dangling OBD II port. LOL. Good grief.
I gave up trying to find the part. I went more or less the zip tie route
Old 12-14-2018, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ours broke off .... silicone sealer to the rescue ...

Quick Reply: OBD-II Port Retaining Clip